Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion lights outside fault

Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...

I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..

Thank you in advance!
Lee

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1199321-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2019 4:44 PM, LeeD2019 wrote:
Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...
I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not
flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about
to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick
succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..
Thank you in advance! Lee

Sounds like defective sensors. Still under warranty? Most are cheap
and not repairable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:54:45 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Alternatively, is it really a problem? Sounds like they work, just flicker
before going off. If they just flicker for a few seconds, does it matter?
Could try removing the power to reset them, but they are probably on a
switch and that's already been done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:44:02 +0000, LeeD2019
m wrote:

Hi guys I’m new here And thought i would ask for some help...

I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..

Thank you in advance!
Lee

V. interesting, since my front door light started doing the same thing
about a week ago. After 2 years of working fine.

Mine is not on a timer, just a wall switch, a motion detector, and a
ligth detector, and it has two possible On settings. One that it's on
all the time and the other if it's dark out and someone comes near, it
goes on. Usig the on/off switch in the right way determines which on
setting it is, and this is complicated by another light where the
instructions are opposite, so I can never remember which is which.

Power failures are rare, but even a short one can make it switch modes.

So now it flashes 3 times and then goes off. But sometimes being off
is just a prequel to being on. Yesterday I went out and when I came back
it was still off and didn't go on when I walked up the sidewalk.

Have to do some more testing.

Hmm. Your problems sounds trivial compared to mine. But it's still an
interesting coincidence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/19 3:44 PM, LeeD2019 wrote:
Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...
I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not
flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about
to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick
succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..
Thank you in advance! Lee

Could you cover one of the sensors just to see what would happen?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:44:07 PM UTC-4, LeeD2019 wrote:
Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...

I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..

Thank you in advance!
Lee

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1199321-.htm

I would contact the manufacturer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/19 4:44 PM, LeeD2019 wrote:
Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...
I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..
Thank you in advance! Lee

As a test, try some good old-fashioned incandescent bulbs.

LED bulbs, in addition to making President Trump look slightly orange, often cause problems with dimmers and motion sensor devices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 05:33:05 -0400, Mickey F. wrote:

On 9/13/19 4:44 PM, LeeD2019 wrote:
Hi guys Im new here And thought i would ask for some help...
I had two outdoor motion lights fitted either side of my front door by a
qualified electrician these lights are (up and down lights) with the motion
detector fitted within the body of each light.. they worked fine for a few
months then all of a sudden it went wrong. They come on fine do not flicker...
stay on for the length of time I decided BUT.... just as they are about to go
off they start flashing ( they turn on and off again in quick succession) and
then turn off completely :/......Any ideas on how to fix this would be
perfect..
Thank you in advance! Lee

As a test, try some good old-fashioned incandescent bulbs.

LED bulbs, [...] often cause problems with dimmers and motion sensor devices.

CFL's can 'trigger' a false motion detection. The switch I use in my garden
shed does this with a CFL in its field of view.

And as LeeD2019 wrote, LED's present an impedance too high for the motion
detector circuit. I need to put at least a 40 W incandescent on my load or
the LEDs flicker.

What's wrong, simply that they flicker before they turn off? So what, as
long as they are ready to come on again when motion is again detected.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2019 6:24 AM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
[...]

Yah, CFLs and LEDs for various reasons don't work well in some "smart" devices.

For example, I've got a garage door opener that wouldn't operate via the remote when the LED bulbs are lit.Â* Not a big deal, I just use swapped them for incandescents.