Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

Default Distance from outside breaker box to A/C Unit

Can anyone tell me the maximum line-of-site distance that a breaker box
sited outside an A/C compressor can be from the A/C unit? I want to put a
breaker box about 15' from the unit (line-of-site), but I'm not quite sure
it is to code (Virginia).

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Nec requires three foot in front and I believe it's 30 inches wide area
without obstruction.

"H" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the maximum line-of-site distance that a breaker box
sited outside an A/C compressor can be from the A/C unit? I want to put a
breaker box about 15' from the unit (line-of-site), but I'm not quite sure
it is to code (Virginia).

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I think I'm misunderstanding your question. If you want to know the maximum
distance an A/C disconnect can be from the condenser, that's something else.
It must be "in sight from" which means in sight of and within 50 feet.

"H" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the maximum line-of-site distance that a breaker box
sited outside an A/C compressor can be from the A/C unit? I want to put a
breaker box about 15' from the unit (line-of-site), but I'm not quite sure
it is to code (Virginia).

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I need....Thanks.

"H" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the maximum line-of-site distance that a breaker box
sited outside an A/C compressor can be from the A/C unit? I want to put
a breaker box about 15' from the unit (line-of-site), but I'm not quite
sure it is to code (Virginia).

Thanks.

H- Hide quoted text -

why not locate it at the compressor?

Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

The current box has about 12" in front of it. It was installed about 40
years ago before the code said that there needs to be 3' of cleared space in
front of it.

If I replaced the box near the compressor, there would be too many bends in
the wire to be to code. If I put it 15' away, there would be three bends
between the breaker box and the a/c, and 3 bends between the breaker box and
the electrical panel.

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's what I need....Thanks.

"H" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the maximum line-of-site distance that a breaker
box
sited outside an A/C compressor can be from the A/C unit? I want to
put
a breaker box about 15' from the unit (line-of-site), but I'm not
quite
sure it is to code (Virginia).

Thanks.

H- Hide quoted text -

why not locate it at the compressor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:55:19 GMT, "H" wrote:

The current box has about 12" in front of it. It was installed about 40
years ago before the code said that there needs to be 3' of cleared space in
front of it.

If I replaced the box near the compressor, there would be too many bends in
the wire to be to code. If I put it 15' away, there would be three bends
between the breaker box and the a/c, and 3 bends between the breaker box and
the electrical panel.

There is no maximum bends for cable. Conduit would limit the number
of bends, but this does not apply to romex.

If you do have conduit, you are allowed to put a box at the existing
location. The requirement is between pull points, not the breaker
box. This can be no more than 360 degrees.

Everything outside should be weatherproof.

Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

"Terry" wrote in message
[...]

Terry,

Thanks for the clarification. Since this is outside, there will be conduit,
so the 360 degree rule will apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:35:04 GMT, "H" wrote:

There is no maximum bends for cable. Conduit would limit the number
of bends, but this does not apply to romex.

If you do have conduit, you are allowed to put a box at the existing
location. The requirement is between pull points, not the breaker
box. This can be no more than 360 degrees.

Everything outside should be weatherproof.

Terry,

Thanks for the clarification. Since this is outside, there will be conduit,

Lots of people use Romex designed for outside, outside. For ACs. No
need for conduit. In Virginia too, I'm sure.

so the 360 degree rule will apply.