Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rigid Screwgun Followup

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message ...
Ridgid Screwgun

Day 3 Friday

Decided to keep the Rigid and deal with the uncertain warranty and
dubious design (poorly designed tool holder and junk bits) because it
fits
my hand better and is lighter. I am often using it for larger jobs, a
whole room or more of drywall.

I can go for the lighter part. Report back at Day 180 and Day 365 to let
us
know how it is holding up.

Last week I took the Rigid Screwgun back to Home Depot. It was getting very
inconsistent depths due to a wobble in the bit holder. It held up for part
of about 3 houses. The boss has a DeWalt that is very old and is in much
better shape than the Rigid. I bought a Dewalt on clearance at Lowe's. It
has a noisy clutch and I took it in for service and discovered it was built
in 2001 and the receipt is no good because it doesn't have the serial number
on the receipt to prove it is the same one I just bought. I took it apart
and the clutch shaft in the nose piece is machined wrong. The shoulder is
too high and the retaining clip will not catch in the groove.

Found a bit holder that fits my Skil Screwgun and has a retaining clip, but
the clip is not very tight. I don't know if it will be enough to keep the
bit in the holder or not. It is a Vermont American bit holder. I may not
get a chance to try it out until next week as I don't know if there is any
work available tomorrow and I am off Friday.

Mike D.