Scuffing paint on pre-primed door

Old June 4th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

Default Scuffing paint on pre-primed door

I just installed a steel pre-hung exterior door. The finishing instructions
suggest "scuffing" the factory primer before apply a finish coat. I
understand the purpose of this, and this will probably sound like a pretty
dumb question, but what is best for this? Sand paper (what grit/type?) or
steel wool (what coarseness?).

TIA

Dan

Old June 4th 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:
I just installed a steel pre-hung exterior door. The finishing instructions
suggest "scuffing" the factory primer before apply a finish coat. I
understand the purpose of this, and this will probably sound like a pretty
dumb question, but what is best for this? Sand paper (what grit/type?) or
steel wool (what coarseness?).

TIA

Dan

I would be very careful not to scuff through the primer and expose the
steel, for fear of rusting. Fine steel wool would be my choice...a
primer should have no gloss, so that is an odd instruction. If a flat
finish primer, then all that would seem necessary would be to remove
any chalking and/or dirt. If using steel wool, vacuum off when finished
so you don't leave any tiny particles of steel wool, as they will rust.
Old June 4th 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I would be very careful not to scuff through the primer and expose the
steel, for fear of rusting. Fine steel wool would be my choice...a primer
should have no gloss, so that is an odd instruction. If a flat finish
primer, then all that would seem necessary would be to remove any
chalking and/or dirt. If using steel wool, vacuum off when finished so
you don't leave any tiny particles of steel wool, as they will rust.

Thanks for the reply. All the things you mention are what I was concerned
about. I think I may just wipe it down with mineral spirits & paint it w/o
the abrasion. The primer is flat, and no doubt quite thin. I'm imagining
that sanding through to the bare metal and subsequent rust is more of a
threat to the final finish than the need for adding more "tooth" to the
already flat primer.

Dan