Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default What to use to clean fins on central A/C compressor

Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units
serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c
compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do this?
Is it just a soapy solution?
Does it need to be brushed into the fins with a soft bristled brush?

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote
Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units
serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c
compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do
this?

Unless you've got greasy build up (and/or a lot of 'baked on' dirt) then
just flush the condenser from the inside out with a garden hose.

If you insist on using a cleaner I'd avoid any of the common hydrofluoric
acid-based coil cleaners. Here is a safer alternative:
http://www.patriot-supply.com/produc...item.cfm/55541

HTH.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

I just bought a can of spray on foam for this purpose from Home Depot. It
was next to some other seasonal AC items, between the light bulbs and the
indoor garden stuff. I also bought a comb to straighten out the fins.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
news
Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units
serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c
compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do

this?
Is it just a soapy solution?
Does it need to be brushed into the fins with a soft bristled brush?

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 13:18:45 -0600, "news"
wrote:

I just bought a can of spray on foam for this purpose from Home Depot. It
was next to some other seasonal AC items, between the light bulbs and the
indoor garden stuff. I also bought a comb to straighten out the fins.

I have a fin comb, but have made almost no progress straightening the
fins.

Is there a special technique I should use?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"mm" wrote in message

I have a fin comb, but have made almost no progress straightening the
fins.

Is there a special technique I should use?

It is a two step process. You have to get then straightened a bit and
nothing to snag the comb by using duckbill pliers, Then you can use the
comb to align them. If you have one of those cheap plastic combs it takes
some time. Many years ago when I worked for a company that built
eating/cooling coils, they used a metal comb that was fairly deep.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:46:06 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

I have a fin comb, but have made almost no progress straightening the
fins.

Is there a special technique I should use?

It is a two step process. You have to get then straightened a bit and
nothing to snag the comb by using duckbill pliers, Then you can use the

That's what I was leaving out. Thanks.

comb to align them. If you have one of those cheap plastic combs it takes
some time. Many years ago when I worked for a company that built
eating/cooling coils, they used a metal comb that was fairly deep.

I think mine is cheap plastic. But I won't know how cheap until I do
the first step first.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:38:48 -0400, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units
serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c
compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do this?
Is it just a soapy solution?
Does it need to be brushed into the fins with a soft bristled brush?

Thanks,
Walter

When I asked the same question, I got this as an answer(s). Use a
lawn friendly product(don't want to kill grass). Use something that
'foams' to life out dirt in the tiny areas. Don't brush, unless it's
a fin comb. Use water to wash out soap and dirt.

Now I've not used advice, so I don't know of a lawn friendly, foaming
soap/spray.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Jun 2, 12:38 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units
serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c
compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do this?
Is it just a soapy solution?
Does it need to be brushed into the fins with a soft bristled brush?

Thanks,
Walter

I had a spray bottle of this stuff like decades ago, so it may not
have been as eco-friendly as what they can sell now. Anyway, it was
some form of somewhat dilute acid, which surprised me. Didn't say to
rinse the hell out of it, but I did.