do I sand and polish the floors first, or paint the walls first?

Old June 1st 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default do I sand and polish the floors first, or paint the walls first?

I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

but im not sure.

thanks!

Old June 1st 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"stefoid" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

but im not sure.

thanks!

I'd paint first, with the understanding that you might have to touch up
spots on the skirt molding. But, the company who sanded my floors didn't
make a single mark on the molding. I have no idea how, other than great
skill. If you're planning on renting a sanding machine and doing it
yourself, you should count on making a mess. However, my opinion is based on
a small sample of 10 homeowners I know who screwed up the job.

Old June 1st 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 8:24 pm, stefoid wrote:
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

If you do it yourself, take the trim and the drywall off because
you'll probably run the machine through the wall. If you have a pro do
it, I would paint first, they might make a few small marks but you can
touch it up and won't have to worry about getting paint on the new
floor.

Sanding a floor takes some experience with the machine you're going to
use. If you decide to do this, absolutely don't rent the kind of
machine that uses sanding drums, it will gouge your floor so fast you
won't be able to stop it. They make newer machines that are more like
huge belt sanders, but even they require skill and experience. I would
strongly concur with the other poster who suggested having a
professional do this.

Old June 1st 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkL" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 31, 8:24 pm, stefoid wrote:
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

If you do it yourself, take the trim and the drywall off because
you'll probably run the machine through the wall.

You should be writing commercials. :-)

Old June 1st 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Floors last. Leave the baseboards alone.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Old June 1st 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

oh, Ill be getting a professional to do both. I was just wondering
what is the order I should get them in.

So Steve - you reckon you dont have to take off the baseboards or
skirting boards as we call them here? I assumed the sanding machine
wouldnt be able to get flush with them, so they would have to be taken
off, sanded and replaced - not correct?

Steve Barker wrote:
Floors last. Leave the baseboards alone.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Old June 1st 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

You use the edger to get close to the base. (it's a separate machine,
handheld)

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

Steve Barker wrote:
Floors last. Leave the baseboards alone.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Old June 1st 07, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Around here, we have a separate piece of molding at the bottom of the
molding, called quarter round. This is easily removed and if you don't
remove it, you will never be able to sand the floor close enough to the
molding to avoid leaving a line, even with an edger.

I don't see any advantage to painting the moldings and walls first, as
there is always a chance that they will get nicked when doing the floor,
and any possible spills on the previously done floor can be avoided with
drop cloths.

When I did mine, I actually repainted the quarter round moldings before
reinstalling them; it was easier to avoid mistakes that way.

Since you are going to have it done professionally, I suggest asking the
tradesmen and taking their advice. Who knows, they may be able to get
you a break on the price.

Old June 4th 07, 06:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:52:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"stefoid" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

but im not sure.

thanks!

I'd paint first, with the understanding that you might have to touch up
spots on the skirt molding. But, the company who sanded my floors didn't
make a single mark on the molding. I have no idea how, other than great
skill. If you're planning on renting a sanding machine and doing it
yourself, you should count on making a mess. However, my opinion is based on
a small sample of 10 homeowners I know who screwed up the job.

If you do it your self, don't do what I do. Put on a coat of
polyurethane, wait a day as instructed, then use pads something like
brillo to scrape up the coat so the second coat adheres.

I don't know what I should have done, but the first coat was still
soft enough that little pieces of brillo got embedded in the floor.

I'm glad I was renting. (It was still a big improvement over the art
student who had dribbled paint on the floor while expressing herself
in her painting. You had to look closely to see the wires, but it
bothered me for the 12 years I was there.)