Naval Jelly as a Paint Remover?

Old May 30th 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Naval Jelly as a Paint Remover?

My ornamental iron porch posts desperately need to be painted. They
are not rusted but some large flakes of paint need to be removed
first. I've got a set of those wire brushes that can be put on an
electric drill, but I'm not impressed with the results. I thought the
stuff would fly off, but it's not nor does a regular wire brush seem
to have any effect on these flakes. Would naval jelly be a good
choice to put on the porch posts to desolve most of the paint and
remove the flaking paint?

Once the old paint is removed I have several cans of Sherwin Williams
Etching Primer to put on the bare metal and then will paint with Red
Devil Enamel with Polyurethane. I used these products on the handrail
which is out in the weather 24/7 about 5 years ago and still no
blistering nor rust. Paint has faded a bit is about the only flaw.

Old May 30th 07, 07:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Would naval jelly be a good
choice to put on the porch posts to desolve most of the paint and
remove the flaking paint?

No. Naval jelly is a phosphoric acid rust converter, not a paint remover.
Methylene chloride is nasty but most effective paint remover.
Old May 30th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Would naval jelly be a good
choice to put on the porch posts to desolve most of the paint and
remove the flaking paint?

For only a few dollars, you can buy stuff made for -- get this now ---
removing paint. It is called Paint Remover and is available at any paint,
hardware store, or home center.