Posted to alt.home.repair
S S S S is offline

Default how to seal roof tiles?

I have a flat roof with floor tiles (sunroof) Whats best way to seal them, I
dont want the expense of retiling. As yet there are no leaks but would like
to seal as a precaution.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2007 06:04:48 GMT, "S S"
wrote:

I have a flat roof with floor tiles (sunroof) Whats best way to seal them, I
dont want the expense of retiling. As yet there are no leaks but would like
to seal as a precaution.

thanks

I was under the impression that the tiles in that situation were
only there to protect the waterproof membrane underneath. Are
they supposed to be sealed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S S" wrote in message
I have a flat roof with floor tiles (sunroof) Whats best way to seal them,
I dont want the expense of retiling. As yet there are no leaks but would
like to seal as a precaution.

Floor tiles?

As the other poster said, tile roofs only protect the tar-paper membrane
underneath them. Some folks seal roof tiles to keep them from molding, but
not prevent leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
S S S S is offline

You could be correct I am just being cautious, some of the neighbours have
had some problems over winter (Turkey) and I thought to do something just
now rather than wait for some dampness to seep through.
I suppose the weak points are the grout and the joints along the balastrade.
If it was done properly then hopefully it should be ok, but then again this
is Turkey :-(

"Charles" wrote in message

"S S" wrote in message
I have a flat roof with floor tiles (sunroof) Whats best way to seal them,
I dont want the expense of retiling. As yet there are no leaks but would
like to seal as a precaution.

Floor tiles?

As the other poster said, tile roofs only protect the tar-paper membrane
underneath them. Some folks seal roof tiles to keep them from molding,
but not prevent leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S S" wrote in message
k...
You could be correct I am just being cautious, some of the neighbours have
had some problems over winter (Turkey) and I thought to do something just
now rather than wait for some dampness to seep through.
I suppose the weak points are the grout and the joints along the
balastrade. If it was done properly then hopefully it should be ok, but
then again this is Turkey :-(

Have no idea what goes on there ... sorry. However, it seems reasonable to
assume that a tile roof can never (by itself) keep water out of a structure.
Turkey is a different place but roofs are roofs. I'd still count on the
membrane under the tiles to stop leaks.

roof tiles [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 24th 07 11:42 PM
roof tiles asalcedo UK diy 5 August 17th 06 01:58 PM
What do you use to seal tiles? Cordless Crazy UK diy 4 January 26th 06 05:34 PM
Roof seal Lost in Translation Home Repair 3 April 21st 05 11:45 PM
Roof Tiles Don Bouchard Home Repair 1 February 10th 05 04:21 AM