Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot tub electric

Just rented a trencher to run underground electric to my garage
and decided to dig a trench and run conduit for a future hot tub. The
entire length is about 50 feet and I bought 1.5" conduit for the job.
The trench will be no more then 18" deep as that is the limit of the
trencher. My question is what type of wire should I run. I
understand 6 gauge but do not know whether to run UF or THWN. The
wires will come off a 60 amp breaker on main panel then travel the 50
feet to a disconnect I will mount on a treated 4x4. I believe these
spa disconnects come with built in GFCI? At the disconnect I will
have a protected outlet for radio or whatever. Also do I need to sink
a ground rod at main disconnect as if it was a subpanel? ANy advice,
guidance or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Another question....For my garage I ran 10/3 UF 12" underground
in 1" conduit. Do I need to run that off a GFCI breaker? Right now I
have an extra standard 30 amp double breaker and will plan to use it
if the GFCI is not necessary. The garage has all indoor outlets but
does have 3 exterior lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

For your hot tub, four #6 THWN in conduit buried min 18" is code. You don't
need uf if the conduit is continuous.The spa disconnect should have the GFCI
protection in it if it's not self contained with the spa support equipment

The feeder to your detached garage does not meet code at 12". Supplemental
GFCI protection also doesn't meet code, as it's over 20 amps, but doesn't
hurt to have the added protection

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The wires will come off a 60 amp breaker on main panel then travel the 50
feet to a disconnect I will mount on a treated 4x4. I believe these
spa disconnects come with built in GFCI?

No, they dont always "come with" a GFI disconnect. I ve had to add one for
the 3 tubs I ve had. Two have had the 2 pole 40A GFI breaker in my regular
panel. The other was in the box outside near the tub.

Before you "pull wire", decide what tub you need and find out its
requirements, then gauge the wire to the equipment