Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dehumidifier broken?

I need to know if my dehumidifier is working properly or not. The
output seems to be very low for how long it runs, just a cup or so
after 1 day. I've had it hooked up to a hose into my sump well for 2
years so I don't know how much is normal, but I seem to remember it
filled up the reservoir overnight when I first got it 2 years ago.

I removed the front panel and saw that the top coil is freezing up
while 4 coils down it remains at room temp, more or less. I've seen
condensation on the outside top of the unit past several days. The
frost is on the coil from the top coil back to a small black plastic
part. With the panel off, it ran for several minutes and I did not see
any condensate driping down except for a few drops in between the
fins.

I don't know the temp in the basement, but I'd have to say it's over
65F since it's about 75 outside. Anyone with any insight is
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
" wrote:

[...]

No expert here. But I had a similar problem with freezing and large
amounts of ice on my dehumidifier coils (don't recall now if it was
winter or summer but unit is located like yours in a basement).

I just put a cheap timer on it and it turns off 2 hours out of 24 to
allow for thawing and I have not had that particular problem since.

Otherwise mine seems okay (5 years old). Like you I have a hose
draining to a floor drain so I don't know about quantity of water
removed each day.

Good luck.

Morenuf
--
lid
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

A partially frosted and partially warm coil is commonly caused by a low
refrigerant charge. You probably need to have it looked at by a refrigerater
repair shop.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Is it a Sears Kenmore 70 pint dehumidifier? Throw it in the garbage unless
repairs are covered by warranty. They are junk.

" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an LG 50 pint with a built-in 2/4 hour timer. I suspected it
might be low charge, but it's not fast cycling like a car A/C. Where
does one get refrigerators repaired these days? They mainly do
housecalls, don't they? And the minimum service call is probably close
to what I paid for the unit. Bummer, only 2 years old. I saw Kenmore
units very much like mine in styling. Wouldn't surprise me if Kenmore
is rebadged LG.

ps.com...