Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water in traps

I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane over
the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and allowing
sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).

I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and when
I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened. Is
there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this year..

Thanks
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message

I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane over
the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and allowing
sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).

I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and when
I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened. Is
there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this year..

Thanks
CP

That sounds pretty extreme to me. Might be a good idea if your going to be
a guest of the state fore a couple years. Put a glass of water in the
bathroom see how long it takes to evaporate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 12:09�am, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"Charles Pisano" wrote in message

I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane over
the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and allowing
sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).

I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and when
I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened. Is
there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this year..

Thanks
CP

*That sounds pretty extreme to me. Might be a good idea if your going to be
a guest of the state fore a couple years. Put a glass of water in the
bathroom see how long it takes to evaporate.

if some bozo dumped say gasoline down the sewer in your neighborhood
the gasoline vapors might get iinto your home and BAM...

or put some anti freeze in traps it evaporates much slower than water

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane
over the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and
allowing sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).

I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and
when I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened.
Is there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this
year..

Thanks
CP

Nah, not really; just a possibly unpleasant odor when you do return. Put
antifreeze in there and it should work OK and wont' evap too quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:29:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Also, using vegetable oil (in lieu of 'anti-freeze") in the sink
traps will slow evaporation.

Wont that rot and stink?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:58:09 -0400, Charles Pisano wrote:

I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane over
the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and allowing
sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).

I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and when
I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened. Is
there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this year..

Just have to remember to remove the cellophane before you use it. And
dont let it drop into the toilet. Other than that, it should be fine.

Thanks
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:50:40 -0500, "dnoyeB" wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:29:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Also, using vegetable oil (in lieu of 'anti-freeze") in the sink
traps will slow evaporation.

Wont that rot and stink?

Mixed with water in the trap? If the water dries out I know the smell.
Suppose one cup or less of oil per trap added to the water. I can't
imagine a real terrible smell.

I never heard of anti-freeze in a toilet, until I read it here. :-)

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks...Good to know I didn't do something wrong...again..I put the
(made for the home) antifreeze in my Pa home when I go away. Works great
if you follow directions. I also found you can pay a little for it or
ALOT..

Fortunalty I looked around at HD and found the cheap one..

I doubt I'll use antifreeze in fla. I did spray a little bit of
water/bleach solution in the traps (before leaving) to keep down the
mold. I smelled it when I returned last fall. I'm hopin' that helps this
year..

People told me to get a humidistat. But I'm thinkin' the hurricanes
will blow the whole shooting match away this year. One can hope..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
Thanks...Good to know I didn't do something wrong...again..I put the
(made for the home) antifreeze in my Pa home when I go away. Works great
if you follow directions. I also found you can pay a little for it or
ALOT..

Fortunalty I looked around at HD and found the cheap one..

I doubt I'll use antifreeze in fla. I did spray a little bit of
water/bleach solution in the traps (before leaving) to keep down the
mold. I smelled it when I returned last fall. I'm hopin' that helps this
year..

People told me to get a humidistat. But I'm thinkin' the hurricanes
will blow the whole shooting match away this year. One can hope..

Well, it does more than just block the odors. Keeps those sewer bugs
from crawling up the drain pipe and taking up residence in your home
while you are away. Put some of the "antifreeze" in every drain and
you won't have the sewer bugs or odors.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:50:40 -0500, "dnoyeB" wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:29:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Also, using vegetable oil (in lieu of 'anti-freeze") in the sink
traps will slow evaporation.

Wont that rot and stink?

Mixed with water in the trap? If the water dries out I know the smell.
Suppose one cup or less of oil per trap added to the water. I can't
imagine a real terrible smell.

I never heard of anti-freeze in a toilet, until I read it here. :-)

It's common practice in most of the northern climes when one is leaving for
an extended time or closing up a summer camp. Water off, pipes drained, RV
antifreeze in all the drain traps including toilets. RV antifreeze is non
toxic & works great; can even be washed into the septic as long as it's only
that one time a year.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
Thanks...Good to know I didn't do something wrong...again..I put the
(made for the home) antifreeze in my Pa home when I go away. Works
great if you follow directions. I also found you can pay a little for
it or ALOT..

Fortunalty I looked around at HD and found the cheap one..

I doubt I'll use antifreeze in fla. I did spray a little bit of
water/bleach solution in the traps (before leaving) to keep down the
mold. I smelled it when I returned last fall. I'm hopin' that helps
this year..

People told me to get a humidistat. But I'm thinkin' the hurricanes
will blow the whole shooting match away this year. One can hope..

I knew some folks over in Clear Water area put shrink-wrap over their toilet
to stop the evaporation. I guess one would not believe the colonies of
"things" that were growing in it when they got back.

In Fl, wouldn't a hurricane simply suck anything liquid in a toilet right
out of it?

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been through 3 cat 3's. But have yet to have any 'intrusion' into
my house. I'm hoping it'll blow the WHOLE house away (is what I meant).

But the only effect those 3 had was we had no power to the grinder pumps
that are in the 'mini' septic systems the city maintains. So, (at a hugh
cost) they came around and sucked them all out with a pumper truck.

A nice juicy cat 5 would be great. I'd sell what was left after
insurance. 4 would be enough for me.. And I bet I'd have alot of
company..

Bath traps and waste David Hansen UK diy 0 May 14th 07 10:50 AM
Bath traps and waste Dave Liquorice UK diy 0 May 12th 07 11:48 AM
Heat traps? [email protected] UK diy 3 January 21st 07 08:06 PM
I need 50 mouse traps Ken Home Repair 18 January 2nd 07 05:27 PM
Lint Traps Timo Home Repair 1 January 5th 06 09:46 PM