Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Stain

Can anyone recommend a good deck stain. This is my project this weekend and
I want to be prepared and do the best job possible with quality materials.

The deck is pressure treated lumber and i was thinking about staining the
rails and balisters a solid white and the planks a complimentary solid color
of my house (like a dark taupe siding)

Anyone have any experience with these solid color stains?
I have only seen decks stained with a solid redwood and I really do no like
this look.

Are there pros/cons to using a solid stain over a transparent, I do like the
look of the wood grain showing through, but I am afraid that the color will
not be what I wanted once I apply it to the wood.

I tested a transparent color on a piece and it came out nowhere near the
color I was hoping for. I can't be spending money to keep buying colors to
test and I haven't seen any home testers in stain as you do with paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Postal68" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good deck stain. This is my project this weekend
and I want to be prepared and do the best job possible with quality
materials.

Are there pros/cons to using a solid stain over a transparent, I do like
the look of the wood grain showing through, but I am afraid that the color
will not be what I wanted once I apply it to the wood.

I've used solid color on mine for some years now. The only downside is that
the wood grain will not show through any more, but the upside is you get the
color you want.

I use Sikkens from our local paint store and it seems to be holding up well.
I've use Cabot in the past and did not care for it very much but others seem
to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I've used Sikkens as well with very good results. Go on their website and
check out the many versions of stains that they have, to select one for your
situation. Note: they are not cheap.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
newstX4i.20342$Qz.2390@trndny09...

"Postal68" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good deck stain. This is my project this weekend
and I want to be prepared and do the best job possible with quality
materials.

Are there pros/cons to using a solid stain over a transparent, I do like
the look of the wood grain showing through, but I am afraid that the
color will not be what I wanted once I apply it to the wood.

I've used solid color on mine for some years now. The only downside is
that the wood grain will not show through any more, but the upside is you
get the color you want.

I use Sikkens from our local paint store and it seems to be holding up
well. I've use Cabot in the past and did not care for it very much but
others seem to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was happy with Cabot. I do not like the solid stains - I just think the
look is like redwood paint, which I've come to associate with cheapness,
rightly or wrongly. I like the natural wood look, with some clear stain
perhaps.

Deck Stain [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 30th 06 04:47 PM
deck stain - more is better? Ether Jones Home Repair 0 May 22nd 06 03:12 PM
Deck re-stain G Home Repair 1 May 9th 06 02:08 PM
Best deck stain Bill Reynolds Home Repair 7 August 20th 05 03:22 AM
Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck? Mike in DE. Home Repair 1 September 7th 04 08:17 PM