DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   vinyl siding/shutters (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201299-vinyl-siding-shutters.html)

Mark Corbelli May 21st 07 01:55 PM

vinyl siding/shutters

I have a job re-attaching three of my sister-in-law's vinyl shutters on her
vinyl sided house. My house is sided with hardboard so I just nail mine on.
But I'm guessing there is only Celotex or some other lightweight sheething
underneath her vinyl that probably won't take a nail or screw. Can someone
tell me what I should do or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

dpb May 21st 07 06:02 PM

vinyl siding/shutters

On May 21, 6:55 am, "Mark Corbelli" wrote:
I have a job re-attaching three of my sister-in-law's vinyl shutters on her
vinyl sided house. My house is sided with hardboard so I just nail mine on.
But I'm guessing there is only Celotex or some other lightweight sheething
underneath her vinyl that probably won't take a nail or screw. Can someone
tell me what I should do or point me in the right direction?

How were the attached before and why are they down? If they came down
on their own, guess that's a clue... :(

One would have hoped that if the shutters were intended from the git-
go they would have put some blocking in proper locations for
attachment points if there really is not solid sheathing. If there
is actually nothing, about your only choice would be an expansion-
behind-the-wall type and not too much force in tightening it up.
Other than that, you're to the remove enough siding to get access,
install the blocking and then put it back -- a lot of work.

Alternative solution would be to open interior wall and get at it that
way -- still a lot of work. If it were mine, I'd probably do without
the shutters if it really were that way. Hard to believe there isn't
something to attach to --

Edwin Pawlowski May 21st 07 07:15 PM

vinyl siding/shutters

"Mark Corbelli" wrote in message
I have a job re-attaching three of my sister-in-law's vinyl shutters on her
vinyl sided house. My house is sided with hardboard so I just nail mine on.
But I'm guessing there is only Celotex or some other lightweight sheething
underneath her vinyl that probably won't take a nail or screw. Can someone
tell me what I should do or point me in the right direction?

What have you tried?

Mine are held up with long screws I replaced the old screws with SS screws
the last time I took them down for painting. Rather than make assumptions
and more work, try a long screw and see if it bites. Been OK for 30 years
so far.

DT May 21st 07 10:09 PM

vinyl siding/shutters

In article sMf4i.6467$xV.4198@trnddc05, says...

I have a job re-attaching three of my sister-in-law's vinyl shutters on her
vinyl sided house. My house is sided with hardboard so I just nail mine on.
But I'm guessing there is only Celotex or some other lightweight sheething
underneath her vinyl that probably won't take a nail or screw. Can someone
tell me what I should do or point me in the right direction?

They sell fairly large diameter, coarse thread, color-matched plastic screws
just for this situation. Available at any Home Depot in the shutter department.
Here is a link to some:

http://www.decorativeshutters.com/installation.html
--
Dennis