Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water valve leaks if not fully opened or closed. Problem?

The valve on the hot water line to my washer is fine if fully open, or
if fully closed. If it is somewhere in between, there is a small leak,
around the shaft that you turn to open and close the valve. By small
leak, I mean around a drop a second comes out.

(I'm assuming that this is not normal, because the identical valve on
the cold water line does not exhibit this behavior).

Is this something I should worry about? I would normally keep the valve
fully opened, or fully closed if I needed to disconnect the water line
to the washer for some reason. (I only found this out because, based on
something I think I read here, but maybe in another group, I decided to
periodically close and open all my water valves, to make sure they stay
easy to turn).

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:32 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
The valve on the hot water line to my washer is fine if fully open, or
if fully closed. If it is somewhere in between, there is a small leak,
around the shaft that you turn to open and close the valve. By small
leak, I mean around a drop a second comes out.

(I'm assuming that this is not normal, because the identical valve on
the cold water line does not exhibit this behavior).

Is this something I should worry about? I would normally keep the valve
fully opened, or fully closed if I needed to disconnect the water line
to the washer for some reason. (I only found this out because, based on
something I think I read here, but maybe in another group, I decided to
periodically close and open all my water valves, to make sure they stay
easy to turn).

--
--Tim Smith

Tim-

Tighten the packing nut & the drip should go away.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Tim Smith wrote:
The valve on the hot water line to my washer is fine if fully open, or
if fully closed. If it is somewhere in between, there is a small leak,
around the shaft that you turn to open and close the valve. By small
leak, I mean around a drop a second comes out.

(I'm assuming that this is not normal, because the identical valve on
the cold water line does not exhibit this behavior).

Is this something I should worry about? I would normally keep the valve
fully opened, or fully closed if I needed to disconnect the water line
to the washer for some reason. (I only found this out because, based on
something I think I read here, but maybe in another group, I decided to
periodically close and open all my water valves, to make sure they stay
easy to turn).

--
--Tim Smith

Your valves have stem leakage which may stop if you tighten the stem
nut under the handle. However, this may be a good excuse to get rid of
the problem and replace the old timers with modern quarter turn ball
valves or a single lever assembly made just for washing machines. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 1:09�am, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

yeah quarter or 1/2 half turn on packing nut should do it.

a good friends outside faucet had leaked this way for years, the water
was running inside the house behind the breaker box.

her hubby said new plumbing no money, I showed her on my faucet she
fixed hers instantly, still fine 2 years later