Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to repair downsprout section

OK this one is a little hard to explain, but basically there is a
"super gutter" above in a valley section of the roof and it drains
into a downsprout. The downsprout extends about 10 inches down then
turn 90 degrees for about 4 feet, then turn 90 degrees again to
connect to a straight section of a downsprout which leads into the
foundation and eventually drains outside on the other side of the
house.

I removed a section of the soffit to expose the two 90 degree
sections. As you can see, I have two of these one on the left side
and one on the right side of the interior courtyard.

I have always wonder why draining was so slow, and now I understand
with the two 90 degree elbows it is just not flowing fast enough.
Furthermore leaves and debris often gets washed into the downsprout
and further slows the flow.

So I am installing two mesh screens at the top of the drains.

However the two 90 degree elbows must be adjusted. the almost
horizontal piece of the downsprout is also corroded and broken (see
the red circle area). My plan is to attach a new piece but give it a
better slope. However I cannot find a replacement downsprout. These
measure 6"x4.5" and was welded together (built in 1972). I do not see
any downsprout with that size. Any suggestions what I can do there?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 10:42 pm, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have always wonder why draining was so slow, and now I understand
with the two 90 degree elbows it is just not flowing fast enough.
Furthermore leaves and debris often gets washed into the downsprout
and further slows the flow.

So I am installing two mesh screens at the top of the drains.

However the two 90 degree elbows must be adjusted. the almost
horizontal piece of the downsprout is also corroded and broken (see
the red circle area). My plan is to attach a new piece but give it a
better slope. However I cannot find a replacement downsprout. These
measure 6"x4.5" and was welded together (built in 1972). I do not see
any downsprout with that size. Any suggestions what I can do there?

Call a guttering service and tell them what you need. A full service
shop should be able to make any profile you need. If you have enough
height, perhaps you could replace the tight elbows w/ sweeps. At the
worst, forget the horizontal run and bring it out underneath the
soffit and make the lateral run have sufficient slope to carry the
water. May not be ideal visually, obviously so whether you can do so
and maintain the aesthetics may limit choices...

BTW, usenet is a text medium so whatever you used to post pictures
doesn't work for anybody to see -- need to either find a binary group
(and many servers don't carry them so that's not universal or use one
of the many free hosting sites). I kinda' remember a discussion on
this funky drain system from some time back so have a clue of what
you're talking about...