Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sourcing old/obsolete breakers?

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

--
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/19 11:13 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

Try these guys:
https://www.schneider-electric.us/en...uit-breakers/#

or maybe

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...35,6 203,6210
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 22:13:31 -0500, Dave Garrett
wrote:

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

I assume you are talking about a 240v tandem breaker (2 240v circuits
in 2 slots)
It isn't legal but I used two of the tandem breakers with the full
size handle in line (not 2 little ones side by side) with handle tie
kits.
Folks install sub panels to solve problems like this if the breaker is
truly unobtainium.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

A standard current Square D QO breaker should plug right in - and you
can use it in the new QO panel when you eventually replace it -
QO215CP should be the part number for the replacement for a 15 amp -
QO220CP for a 20 amp. Home Despot even carries them in stock - likely
about $25 US
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

The QO breaker today fits right back to 1955 QO panels. QOB breakers
may not fit the older panels - not sure - but those are the tandem 120
volt ones - not 120/240

Posted to alt.home.repair
ESP ESP is offline

On 10/19/19 11:13 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

From your vague description it sounds like a QOT1515CP breaker

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei...dp/B00002NB37/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...15CP/100076261
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:13:41 PM UTC-5, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

I usually look on Ebay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 06:08:38 -0400, ESP wrote:

On 10/19/19 11:13 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

From your vague description it sounds like a QOT1515CP breaker

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei...dp/B00002NB37/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...15CP/100076261

The fact that he said 240v implies 2 breaker slots, tandem implies two
breakers in each slot (two 240v circuits in two slots).
I have seen that breaker but not since the mid 60s.
It may be because they were not simultaneous trip and depended on the
handle ties. That used to be legal, not it isn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2019 11:13 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

Their web sites have toll free numbers. Try calling them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/19 4:51 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
In article ,
says...

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I realize my description wasn't the
best, so to clarify I've uploaded a couple of pics of the panel to
Flickr. The breaker that failed is the one in the #2 slot.

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNy4

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNx7

See this FAQ for info on replacement for that old style.

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en...US#__highlight

"What is the difference in QOT Tandem breakers with handles one over the
other, versus side by side?

The current style single-pole QOT Tandem Breaker has 2 handles, and the
handles are side by side. This style can be used in place of the older
style in a single-pole application."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 15:51:58 -0500, Dave Garrett
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

OK the breaker everyone has linked will work. I thought you were
talking about the "unicorn" tandem 240 breaker.
The 2 operating handles are side by side not inline but it works the
same.
I am surprised your "electrician" didn't know that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 17:30:22 -0400, wrote:

[...]

With that last statement they are alluding to the two pole (240v)
application you used to be able to do with the over/under breakers and
a couple handle tie kits.
The NEC made that illegal many cycles ago. You can still use it for
multiwire circuits, using the handle tie only but you need a common
trip pair for 240v applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2019 3:51 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
In article ,
says...

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I realize my description wasn't the
best, so to clarify I've uploaded a couple of pics of the panel to
Flickr. The breaker that failed is the one in the #2 slot.

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNy4

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNx7

What's on the circuit? Somebody forgot to label the panel (with the
exception of the scrawled AC on the cover).

Is it feeding 240V or two 120V circuits? I notice only one side is
tripped/off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 15:51:58 -0500, Dave Garrett
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks. I wasn't there when the "electrician" was onsite, and the info I
got was second-hand from my elderly father. They'd never used this guy
before, but he came recommended by my parents' equally elderly
neighbors. Apparently it's time to find someone else that actually knows
what they're doing.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

--
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On 10/20/2019 3:51 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
In article ,
says...

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I realize my description wasn't the
best, so to clarify I've uploaded a couple of pics of the panel to
Flickr. The breaker that failed is the one in the #2 slot.

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNy4

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNx7

What's on the circuit? Somebody forgot to label the panel (with the
exception of the scrawled AC on the cover).

Is it feeding 240V or two 120V circuits? I notice only one side is
tripped/off.

It's two 120V circuits, AFAIK. My father's office is on the one that was
affected by the breaker failure, and that's the room that his modem,
router and computers are in, so he hasn't had internet access since this
happened.

Now that I know that we don't have to go chasing down a 50-year-old
replacement breaker, we should be able to get things operational again
fairly quickly.

--
Dave

Reuse of old cases from obsolete electonics for Pi David.WE.Roberts UK diy 16 August 7th 13 02:23 PM
Old TV arials - now obsolete? AL_n UK diy 6 July 3rd 11 02:58 PM
Sourcing steel in Buckinghamshire, England? Paul S. Brown Metalworking 4 September 14th 04 11:05 PM
Low voltage Connectors & transformers-sourcing Ged UK diy 5 November 27th 03 01:21 AM
Myson heat calc. questions and sourcing rads. Niel A. Farrow UK diy 2 October 29th 03 07:05 PM