Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Entry Door

There is an aluminum framed door, single light, set in an aluminum frame.
There are no hinges on the side. Instead there are pivots, top and bottom,
on what would be the hinge side. The top pivot also has a closer built
into the frame.

I don't see an easy way to remove the door from the frame so I can work on
the bottom. It can't be lifted from the bottom pivot point - no clearance
at the top, even if it did come out easily. There are screws in a bottom
plate which is resting on the concrete, but this doesn't seem to be the
best way to remove it - difficult getting the door back in, aligned with
the (E) holes. The same for the top - there is a metal arm in the top of
the door frame, but I'm reluctant to remove the one screw that I can see
for fear of mucking something up.

How do you take this kind of door out?

No nameplate, i.d. or specifications anywhere that I could see.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 9, 11:57 pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

Don't think I've ever seen one, how about posting pictures of the
mountings somewhere for others to see?

Would seem as though one of the pivot points has to have a way to be
loosened or there's might be a way to adjust the pin. The top pin
isn't spring loaded by any chance, is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Your storm door may not be removable from the frame. It was probably
manufactured as a unit. If so, to work on it you may have to remove
the entire frame including door. This may mean removing the screws
you mention. There may be a moulding around the edge of the door
covering the door flange and the screws holding the frame in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several variations on this theme. One has three screws that
secure the top pivot to the frame from the underside of the header.

The other variation is that the upper pivot pin is spring loaded and there
is a small hole in the upper pivot that you can insert a thin pin to depress
the pivot pin and then slip the door past the upper pivot, then lift the
door off the lower pivot.

One more thing, the door will be heavy and in a stiff wind you can get into
trouble really fast.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

There are several variations on this theme. One has three screws that
secure the top pivot to the frame from the underside of the header.

The other variation is that the upper pivot pin is spring loaded and there
is a small hole in the upper pivot that you can insert a thin pin to depress
the pivot pin and then slip the door past the upper pivot, then lift the
door off the lower pivot.

One more thing, the door will be heavy and in a stiff wind you can get into
trouble really fast.

I haven't checked this yet, but I talked to a glass company I use and this
is the skinny.

First, it's not a storm door, I'm in California, and we don't know what
those are. It's really an entry door, but it's an entry door into a lobby.
The doors, along with the glass panels on either side are called
"storefront doors"

glass
|=======glass======|-----door-----|======glass=======|

everything is Al framed, and as I mentioned, there are no hinges on the door.

The steps as relayed to me are

1. Close the door

2. Put someone on the outside of the door

3. Take off a small metal plate at the top of the door, near the pivot

4. Loosen 3 set screws

5. Thump the door from the inside and it will fall outwards

6. The outside guy catches the door, then lifts it off the bottom pivot

Work on the door

7. Reverse steps to install the door

--
charles

entry door Tony Pacc Home Repair 3 July 28th 06 08:42 PM
fibreglass entry door Dave Home Repair 3 July 7th 06 07:14 PM
Front entry door problem PDQ Home Repair 7 February 17th 06 03:16 PM
Exterior entry door material ???????????????? miey Woodworking 4 March 7th 05 09:02 PM
door entry system Cuprager UK diy 4 February 25th 05 01:42 AM