Sizing a radon fan

Old May 10th 07, 04:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sizing a radon fan

Hi All:

I moved into a new house that I built a couple of months ago. I
bought a safety siren radon meter and let it do it's thing for about
a month now. My readings are in the 5.6 area.

My basement is approximately 1800 sq ft., before the masons
poured the slab I put two 3" perforated pipes into the gravel base
in case we had a radon issue. I also had the plumber run the
radon vent pipe from the roof down to the basement so I can
tie them together. A couple of questions:

- How reliable/accurate are the readings from these ~$100 radon units?
- Is there a formula that tells me how many CFM I need to draw based
on square footage, current radon level, etc.?
- Should I just seal off the sump pit, or run it into the other two 3"
PVC
lines running to the roof? Is a piece of lexan cut to fit and some
polyurethane caulk good enough?
- Given the current state of the basement (two radon pipes sticking
out
of the slab with a shoddy little cap on each, plus an open sump
pit),
should I try piping everything without the fan to see how the
levels
change?

Thanks,

-Marc

Old May 12th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I found the ppl at Infiltec (540-943-2776) quite helpful, and willing to
talk.

I have one of those radon units. It pretty much matches the readings I
got with the mail-in samplers. (Our levels are around 16.) Also, it
does go to 0 in an wooden outbuilding.

Beyond that, we still haven't done anything. Technical issues, other
problems, blah, blah, blah.

I'd like to see your results, if you feel like posting them when you're
done.

George

Old May 12th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if one had a interior french drain system that drained to
daylight say near the street if radon levels would be less.

our neighborhood is a hot spot and we could use the drain system,
wnder if it might fix both issues?

Old May 17th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

George:

No prob, when I get around to it and remediate, I'll reset the radon
tester
and post my results. Thanks for the Infiltec number.

-Marc

Radon fan recommendation MarkL Home Repair 0 April 26th 07 01:58 AM
Recommendation for good quality Radon fan MarkL Home Repair 0 April 25th 07 09:45 PM
Radon Mitigation System - Fan in Basement? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 10:18 PM
Sizing a fan Fatboise UK diy 11 June 22nd 06 03:58 PM
RADON fish Home Repair 4 June 11th 05 07:46 PM