Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic Problems

My wife and I were planning to sell our home in Central NJ (clay dirt)
with very high water table. We have a septic and the septic appeared
to be fine but figured that we should have it tested so we don't have
any problems when we sell.

The inspector from a septic company tested the leech field he said it
is failing because the distribution box has water in it and the
distribution box should be dry if the system was working properly. He
also poked a few holes into the ground and showed me the water coming
to the surface.

After he left the holes he poked into the ground is now flooding my
yard. I tried plugging up the holes but that didn't work. The
inspector from the septic company said his boss would call. The boss
called and said we need a new septic system and would run $30,000.00.
We do not have sewer close enough to hook up. Do you have any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

While your system is not in good shape at the moment with saturated soil,
you need to get some other opinion and also analyze your own water usage,
because with this time of the year and a high water level, your drainage
field has a very limited capacity to absorb water, and at this moment it is
over capacity.

Cut down the amount of water you use. Then contact other contractors for
opinion and prices. Your "inspector" seems to be just a salesman looking for
a good commission. By the way, what is a "septic company", there are
companies that pump out tanks, and companies that install systems. Maybe I
am missing something, but It sounds like you are not getting realistic
advice.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 5:54 pm, "EXT" wrote:
While your system is not in good shape at the moment with saturated soil,
you need to get some other opinion and also analyze your own water usage,
because with this time of the year and a high water level, your drainage
field has a very limited capacity to absorb water, and at this moment it is
over capacity.

Cut down the amount of water you use. Then contact other contractors for
opinion and prices. Your "inspector" seems to be just a salesman looking for
a good commission. By the way, what is a "septic company", there are
companies that pump out tanks, and companies that install systems. Maybe I
am missing something, but It sounds like you are not getting realistic
advice.

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the advice. The "septic company" is a company that inspects
and installs septic systems. So yes, I am sure I need a few quotes.
Also, I am taking your advice. I just spoke to my wife who states she
washes about 2 loads of cloths per day. I guess I need to cut the
amout of laundry. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

This is the high water season for septics. I have a 2nd drain field
and switch when needed. I believe new construction requires a 2nd
drain field in our county.

If you and wife are only ones in house, e.g. empty nesters, the next
residents may put a lot of pressure on the system if they have
children and maybe you do need to upgrade. Thirty grand appears
excessive and I would shop around.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I used to live in Central NJ, King's Grant/Evesham Township to be exact, but
it was mostly called the Pine Barrens - sandy soil with low water table.

As for your septic tank, water in the distribution box isn't bad, its just a
sign that the drainage field is over saturated and needs a break from the
water. That could be a passing phase or a long-term problem, hard to tell
over a posting. Unfortunately it does sound like they are correct in that
work will need to be done on the drain field. 30,000 seems pretty damn
high, even for NJ.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Until you dry out the drainage bed, don't do any laundry and when you do in
the future, I understand that powdered detergents are bad for septic tanks,
while liquid detergents are not as bad. I have also heard that water
softeners can cause drainage fields to fail from all the salt that is dumped
down the drain, you may want to turn yours off if you have one. Try to
economize on water usage until you detect that your drainage bed is drying
out then investigate your problem further. Caution, if a neighbour or
someone sees that you are leaking waste onto the surface of the ground you
could have the Health Department or whoever controls septic tanks in your
area condemn the system and force an immediate rebuild at any cost.

"Traffic" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 26, 5:54 pm, "EXT" wrote:
While your system is not in good shape at the moment with saturated soil,
you need to get some other opinion and also analyze your own water usage,
because with this time of the year and a high water level, your drainage
field has a very limited capacity to absorb water, and at this moment it
is
over capacity.

Cut down the amount of water you use. Then contact other contractors for
opinion and prices. Your "inspector" seems to be just a salesman looking
for
a good commission. By the way, what is a "septic company", there are
companies that pump out tanks, and companies that install systems. Maybe
am missing something, but It sounds like you are not getting realistic
advice.

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Traffic" wrote:

Thanks for the advice. The "septic company" is a company that inspects
and installs septic systems. So yes, I am sure I need a few quotes.
Also, I am taking your advice. I just spoke to my wife who states she
washes about 2 loads of cloths per day. I guess I need to cut the
amout of laundry. Thanks.

Good grief, that's a lot of laundry. We average less than
one load per day and that's with two adults, two children
and a baby in the home.

You have the potential for significant savings on your
energy bills too!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

questioned:

My wife and I were planning to sell our home in Central NJ (clay dirt)
with very high water table. We have a septic and the septic appeared
to be fine but figured that we should have it tested so we don't have
any problems when we sell.

The inspector from a septic company tested the leech field he said it
is failing because the distribution box has water in it and the
distribution box should be dry if the system was working properly. He
also poked a few holes into the ground and showed me the water coming
to the surface.

Anyone "poking" into the ground around or in my drainfield would have their
______ poked right back to their truck!

After he left the holes he poked into the ground is now flooding my
yard. I tried plugging up the holes but that didn't work.

So there was no flood in the yard and everything seemed fine until the
'expert' poked the holes in your drain field, and now those holes are
causing a flood in the yard? Fill in the blank: 2+2= ___

The
inspector from the septic company said his boss would call. The boss
called and said we need a new septic system and would run $30,000.00.

That was easy.....

We do not have sewer close enough to hook up. Do you have any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Water flowing on the surface of your leach field means it is
overloaded or not working. The leach field is supposed to keep the
water below the surface under all conditions short of Noah's flood.
Assuming it worked properly when installed, your soil is plugged and
will not allow the effluent to saturate the surrounding subgrade. The
amount of laundry indicates this may be part of the problem; detergent
interferes with biological activity in the septic tank and leach field
that makes everthing work. When the leach field is plugged, the best
response is a new leach field. Everthing else is just a bandaid.

New systems to consider are new leach field; raised bed leach field;
aerobic treatment system (chorinates & sprinkles effluent on the
surface). The aerobic system may be the cheapest to install, but uses
pumps, chlorine and electricity, so adds a small operating cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cmiles3" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Even if someone poked through the ground (possibly through piping!) and
caused a path for the underground fluid to flow above the ground easier then
draining into the field? Did I miss something here?

The leach field is supposed to keep the
water below the surface under all conditions short of Noah's flood.
Assuming it worked properly when installed, your soil is plugged and
will not allow the effluent to saturate the surrounding subgrade. The
amount of laundry indicates this may be part of the problem; detergent
interferes with biological activity in the septic tank and leach field
that makes everthing work. When the leach field is plugged, the best
response is a new leach field. Everthing else is just a bandaid.

New systems to consider are new leach field; raised bed leach field;
aerobic treatment system (chorinates & sprinkles effluent on the
surface). The aerobic system may be the cheapest to install, but uses
pumps, chlorine and electricity, so adds a small operating cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

pumps, chlorine and electricity, so adds a small operating cost.- Hide quoted text -

This is a good example of what NOT to do when selling a home. The
last thing I would do is call in a septic inspector to look for
problems. The buyer may do that if they choose to. And they will
likely call in a general home inspector. So now you have two
inspectors running around looking for anything they can find
wrong. By doing it as seller, this is exactly the mess you open
yourself up to. Had the seller not had it inspected, as far as he
knows, he has a functioning septic system with no problems. Now, no
matter what happens, with the disclosure laws in NJ, legally he very
likely has to make a disclosure of what he knows about this to
buyers. My advice is to get a copy of the disclosure law/form and see
exactly what it says ASAP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yeah you're a real team player aren't you. You suspect there may be a
reason to inspect your septic system but you absolutely refuse to because it
might point to a potential deal breaking problem with a buyer not
experienced enough to check.
"Just ignore everything and let the sucker who buys this place find all the
faults *AFTER* he buys it"

I hope you're more courteous in traffic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Excuse, me. That is very different from what was stated by the OP:

"We have a septic and the septic appeared
to be fine but figured that we should have it tested so we don't have
any problems when we sell"

As the situation was stated, there was no evidence of any problem at
all.

"Just ignore everything and let the sucker who buys this place find all the
faults *AFTER* he buys it"

I hope you're more courteous in traffic-

No, I just follow the rules that we all work under, like most
people. I don't expect a seller to have an inspection done with the
purpose of finding things wrong prior to selling a property. That is
not normal practice. What do you do when you're gonna sell a car?
Do you take a car with no problems that you know of down to a mechanic
and pay him to find everything wrong with it so you can either fix it
or tell the buyer? Or do you say, it runs great, is in good
condition and it's being sold as is? Virtually everyone does the
latter. Those are the rules that everyone plays by.

And with a house, I would feel absolutely no obligation to call in a
septic company to look into a septic system with no evident problems.
Nor would I expect any other seller to do it. That's how the sales
process works. If you want to take a big loss and open up a can of
worms by being "courteous", go right ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
My wife and I were planning to sell our home in Central NJ
(clay dirt) with very high water table. We have a septic and
the septic appeared to be fine but figured that we should have
it tested so we don't have any problems when we sell.

(Much clipped for brevity)

Whether the OP should or should not have had this inspection done to be
nice is moot as in New Jersey both well and septic tests have to be
performed to sell a house. What might be worth doing is to get an
inspector without any fiscal incentive to find a problem to look at the
septic system. Also keep in mind that we have had lots and lots...and
lots and lots of rain recently. This might also impact the ability of a
marginal leach field to absorb water in the system.

It might make sense to have the system pumped and have an inspection
done so you can document the actions to a buyer, although if memory
serves, the septic inspection has to be done within 45 days of closing.

Good luck.

I couldn't find any indication of there being State law in NJ
requiring inspection by search of the NJ web site links for real
estate and

http://research.lawyers.com/New-Jers...ew-Jersey.html

doesn't indicate anything other than what looks to be the standard
disclosure of known defects/conditions by seller w/ the information
that the seller can expect a purchase offer to contain the right of
the prospective buyer to have an inspection performed.

Whether some localities may have some "occupiability" rules based on
health ordinances that might require a certification of septic/well
systems is something I didn't look at/for. And, of course, the
prospective buyer may well not be able to get a mortgage approval w/o
the inspection report, but doesn't look like there is anything
preventing a willing buyer to buy a home uninspected if they're
willing and have the wherewithal.

Of course, now that OP has a known or suspected problem, what he knows
and whatever is/isn't done to resolve that knowledge _will_ have to be
disclosed and to fail to do so constitute committing fraud and being
liable therefore.

(BTW, it's too wet here for much of anything I need to be doing
otherwise and was kinda' bored, hence the diversion... )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

In my state an inspection isn't required. My buyer put it into the contract
as a requirement for sale, but it wasn't required by law.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

I couldn't find any indication of there being State law in NJ
requiring inspection by search of the NJ web site links for real
estate and

In my state an inspection isn't required. My buyer put it into the contract
as a requirement for sale, but it wasn't required by law.

I believe that's pretty much true in general -- it's a common
requirement made by either the buyer or the lender but nothing other
than the disclosure form is actually a legal requirement anywhere that
I'm aware of...which was why I was curious enough to see if I could
actually find such a requirement in NJ.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

dpb wrote in
oups.com:

On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

(Clipping continued)

Oops, I hate when I rely on memory instead of documents. I took a look
at my purchase documents and realized that you are correct, it is not a
state law in NJ. Septic inspection was a requirement by the New Jersey
Pinelands Commission (house is in the Pinelands area).

For penence I will now go and offer myself as a sacrifice to the gypsy
moths as I figure that they will start on humans soon as the trees are
rapidly disappearing.

Doc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 8:01 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
dpb wrote groups.com:

On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Doc- Hide quoted text -

There is a company that drills holes in the field and injects high
pressure air and some kind of styrofoam granules, which breaks up the
field and allows better drainage. I think the cost was something like
$7K. Maybe someone can chime in here and remind us both of the system,
as I have the same problem with the leach field.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 1:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

The effluent level is designed to be below ground, but above the
ground water under all conditions. If there is enough effluent for
the system to flow on the ground surface, your system is not draining
(not to mention, but it's probably backing up into the sewer pipes
under your home- hope they don't leak.)

Poking holes in the ground only pulled the bandaid off the scab, it
did not cause your injury.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote groups.com:

On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

as I have the same problem with the leach field.- Hide quoted text -

It's an expensive but temporary patch. You have to remove the solids
plugging the soil or it will quickly revert to the original drainage
problem. Better to invest your money in connecting to a sewer or
replacing your leach field.

In the interest of "full disclosure" during the sale of home, the
seller would be obligated to acknowledge the septic system problem and
this solution. I don't know if the health department recognizes this
method as a "safe" public health restoration method, but I doubt it
does. Most buyers and prudent realtors would walk away.

septic tank problems Tater Home Repair 9 October 4th 06 06:31 PM
Septic Frozen? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 27 December 20th 05 11:17 AM
Septic system field line problems [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 13th 05 11:51 AM
Extending a hallway, problems, problems... Christian McArdle UK diy 1 October 15th 04 05:40 PM
septic DickB Home Repair 1 July 7th 04 04:05 PM