Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

Old May 7th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

Old May 7th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Old May 7th 07, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

Old May 7th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old May 7th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Mac

dean wrote:
On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

it'll burn the foliage. to put that kind of lime on existing grass you
should mix it with water and spray it on. or get granualized lime.
Old May 7th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:13 am, willshak wrote:
dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it's pelletized, then it can be put down with a rotary. If it's
the powder type, it should be put down with a drop spreader. A
rotary will not work well, it will keep clogging. You might suffer
through one bag, but I would not want to try to go through 10 that way.

Old May 7th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Also, pulverized goes all over the place if its windy with a broadcast
spreader.
..
Just curious...why are you not using pelletized lime?

oups.com...

Old May 7th 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

.
Just curious...why are you not using pelletized lime?

oups.com...

dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it's pelletized, then it can be put down with a rotary. If it's
the powder type, it should be put down with a drop spreader. A
rotary will not work well, it will keep clogging. You might suffer
through one bag, but I would not want to try to go through 10 that way.- Hide quoted text -

Didn't see the peletized form. Any my neighbor showed me the stuff he
uses and its the same powdery stuff. Its cheap too!

I will try one bag with the rotary. Expecting to come back to the
house looking like a ghost!

Old May 8th 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

If the spreader has the gears encased so the lime can't get to
them, it will work fine. If the gears are visable, the lime will
quickly wear them out. Avoid overloading the hopper - that
stuff is heavy.

Bob