Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electricity not working properly

My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

--
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am assuming you have single phase service to the APT.
And this APT with a 100a main breaker is possibly fed from another
panel or gutter from the power companyl. breaker or disconnect.

Need to check the incoming power and see if you have the correct
voltage there. Sounds like you may have lost a leg.

If you have the correct voltage there then I would see if all the
branch circuit breakers have voltage on them at the panel.
If so, could be you lost a neutral or hot somewhere in one of the
circuits.
Is it a GFCI and needs to be reset?

On Sun, 06 May 2007 02:32:42 GMT, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:

My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 10:32 pm, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:
My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

--
Tony

if there are three wires of service one may be dead:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-...ection-15.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 7:32 am, buffalobill wrote:
On May 5, 10:32 pm, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:

My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

--
Tony

if there are three wires of service one may be dead:http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-...ection-15.html

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I suggest that someone who doesn't
understand the basics of how to track this down should not be
replacing 100amp main breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 06 May 2007 02:32:42 GMT, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:

My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets

By "she blew the breaker" do you mean she tripped it, or she actually
broke it? You actually replaced the breaker, or you just reset it?

If she ruined a 100 amp breaker, she has some big problem that should
be fixed before you connect her again.

I think you just reset the breaker.

are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On May 5, 10:32 pm, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:
My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

--
Tony

have you tried shutting off the main breaker and resetting it?
try looking into what she plugged into you may have a problem there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 May 2007 17:43:47 -0700, sym wrote:

On May 5, 10:32 pm, "tonytcolon" u33962@uwe wrote:
My friends wife plug a hair dryer in the bathroom light fixtures outlet, as
soon as she turned it on the intire apt. had no light. she blew the main
breaker (100 amps). they called me up i replaced the breaker and the outlets
are working only in the bedroom, livingroom and one other outlet in the
kitchen. all the light switches dont work. the bathroom and kitchen light
switch dont have any power whatsoever. i checked all light switches and
fixture for any broken lines. they seem fine. what else can i check for?
Thanks Tony.

--
Tony

have you tried shutting off the main breaker and resetting it?
try looking into what she plugged into you may have a problem there.

Is there power on BOTH sides of the Main? You might have one leg out.

Otherwise, put a test meter on each breaker to be sure they are all
working. If they are, you likely have a burnt wire or loose
connection on that line. Start with the outlet where the hair dryer
was plugged.

One other thing. Is that a GFI outlet? Maybe all that other stuff is
on the GFI. Push the reset button.