Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default 65 gal propane tank: How full?

I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

you can go to an rv place and get a stick-on temperature sensitive tape that
can be used to tell how full a gas tank is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:18 pm, "Dan" wrote:
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

No in theory the pressure is the same if there is any amount of liquid
in the tank...

When the liquid is all gone, the pressure of the remaining gas will
decrease as you use up the remaining gas.

The pressure of the liquid /gas combination will vary with
temperature, but not with the amount of liquid.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

I should add the tank has a regulator (of course) but the pressure reading
is at the tank itself, not after the regulator.

Dan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:18 pm, "Dan" wrote:
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

my 250 gal tank has a gauge, that really is a % full gauge. They only
fill it to 80%. Don't know if your small BBQ tank fits the same
guidelines.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or can
you tell from the pressure reading?

Not the pressure reading ... use the slosh method, weigh it or ...
http://www.misterfixit.com/propane.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:
: I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove
: & outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a
: pressure guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the
: guage goes up to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full.
: Am I right, or can you tell from the pressure reading?
:
: TIA
:
: Dan

Pour a kettle of boiling water down one side. You will be able to feel
where the level of liquid is by where the temperature gets cool. The
empty top will be warmer than where the LPG level is. Sometimes
condensation will form on the cool part if it is humid.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan writes:

It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage
goes up to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full.

The pressure gage reads only the saturation vapor pressure of the liquid,
not the level of the liquid in the tank. The two are independent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Dan writes:

It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage
goes up to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full.

The pressure gage reads only the saturation vapor pressure of the liquid,
not the level of the liquid in the tank. The two are independent.

OK I'm an idiot. After looking at the web site for the propane company, I
realized the gauge doesn't read in PSI, it is a float gauge that reads in %
full. So the tank has about 18% of 65 gallons, or about 12 gallons. Should
be enough to get through the weekend, anyway ;-)

Thanks to all who replied.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Dan wrote:

OK I'm an idiot. After looking at the web site for the propane company, I
realized the gauge doesn't read in PSI, it is a float gauge that reads in %
full. So the tank has about 18% of 65 gallons, or about 12 gallons. Should
be enough to get through the weekend, anyway ;-)

While most propane tank guages read %, it's not an absolute. Mine
reads gallons. Also most guages are inaccurate, giving a relatively
ballbark reading.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

"runsrealfast" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 4, 2:18 pm, "Dan" wrote:
I recently bought a house that has a 65 gallon LPG tank for the stove &
outdoor grill. I'm trying to determine how full it is. It has a
pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage goes
up
to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full. Am I right, or
can
you tell from the pressure reading?

TIA

Dan

my 250 gal tank has a gauge, that really is a % full gauge. They only
fill it to 80%. Don't know if your small BBQ tank fits the same
guidelines.

John

They are only filled to 80% so that when the tank gets hot the propane
inside has some space to expand to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan writes:

It has a pressure
guage that shows about 18 PSI at the moment. Given that the guage
goes up to around 100 psi, I'm guessing this ain't toooo full.

The pressure gage reads only the saturation vapor pressure of the liquid,
not the level of the liquid in the tank. The two are independent.

OK I'm an idiot. After looking at the web site for the propane company, I
realized the gauge doesn't read in PSI, it is a float gauge that reads in %
full. So the tank has about 18% of 65 gallons, or about 12 gallons. Should
be enough to get through the weekend, anyway ;-)

Thanks to all who replied.

Dan

Good, because I was just about to tell you that if the tank pressure was
REALLY 18 psi and the local temperature was above minus 10 F, then there
was no liquid propane at all left in the tank. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TBone" wrote in message
Actually, they are filled to 80% to leave room for the gas to accumulate
as
it is the gas that is burned, not the liquid.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
link.net...

"runsrealfast" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dan

my 250 gal tank has a gauge, that really is a % full gauge. They only
fill it to 80%. Don't know if your small BBQ tank fits the same
guidelines.

John

They are only filled to 80% so that when the tank gets hot the propane
inside has some space to expand to.

While the gas and not the liquid burns, it is still only filled to 80 % for
expansion due to temperature. If filled all the way and the temperature
warms up slightly you will vent the tank through the relief valve.

From: http://www.teardropparts.com/sub-pag...afety-tips.htm

By design, approximately 20% of the interior space in all propane tanks, OPD
and otherwise, is reserved for expansion to safely accommodate the 1.5%
increase in volume that propane experiences for every 10 degree Fahrenheit
temperature increases. In an overfilled tank, insufficient space may remain
as the propane warms up, expelling gas and/or liquid forcefully through the
safety relief valve.