Extension ladder Rope & Pulley operation Help

Old May 3rd 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extension ladder Rope & Pulley operation Help

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

I took the rope off of my 20 foot ladder many years ago.
It was really more trouble than it was worth. If you
plan to use it fully extended (that's 16 feet) you might
need the rope for the last rung or maybe 2. For what
I do I never need to extend it that far. I can push it
up by hand to over head height and that is far enough.

Bill Gill
Old May 3rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 2:03 pm, fishcakes wrote:
On May 2, 1:10 pm, wrote:

On May 2, 12:55 pm, fishcakes wrote:

I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well then, why don't you first ask the sales rep?

Then DAGS on, say, "extension ladder" and "rope".

Then maybe search your library.

Sorry, but this question indicates an extreme newbie who
didn't exercise due-diligence at point-of-sale.

Clue: rope is means of hoisting upper section when it's
extended some, by pulling down.

J...I don't know where you live, but near me trying to find help in HD
on a Saturday morning is like finding a needle in a haystack. Finding
anyone is a chore. Due-diligence, I bought a ladder, I'm not doing a
corporate acquisition. Just wanted a quick clarification. That's
what this group is for. So what are you saying, the only questions
that can be posted here are the ones you like, if you didn't like it,
ignore it.

Pop' - Thank you so much for the response. It was very helpful. Much
Apprecated.

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

Old May 4th 07, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On May 2, 3:01 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

snip

I'd love to see how you "walk up" an extended 32' heavy duty ladder.

Bob

I don't walk up anything taller than 25' and I wouldn't even bother
with a 32' or taller HD ladder. With the latter (ladder?) it's time
to get out the scaffolding and do the job faster.
The OP was concerned with a 20' ladder, and with a light weight tool
like that a rope is little use. You are right in pointing out that
very tall heavy ladders are best extended with rope and pulley.

Joe

Old May 6th 07, 04:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 1:10 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hey J......look at all the great responses to my question and the
wonderful ideas & suggestions people have about using an extension
ladder. These are the "normal" kinds of responses I was looking for;
never expected RTFM; which is somewhat in line with what what I was
hoping for...just even better. BTW, the jig is up, thanks to you,
this thread is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my Masters
thesis...why did you think it was such a basic, moronic post...and you
fell for the bait...thanks for what I'm sure will be an "A".

Old May 7th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"fishcakes" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey J......look at all the great responses to my question and the
wonderful ideas & suggestions people have about using an extension
ladder. These are the "normal" kinds of responses I was looking for;
never expected RTFM; which is somewhat in line with what what I was
hoping for...just even better. BTW, the jig is up, thanks to you,
this thread is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my Masters
thesis...why did you think it was such a basic, moronic post...and you
fell for the bait...thanks for what I'm sure will be an "A".

As it appears that no one has attempted to answer your question I shall
attempt to .

Let us call the two sections of the ladder the base and the extension. at
the top of the base mount the pulley, and then secure one end of the rope to
the bottom of the extension section.

Now when the ladder is upright but shorter than you desire you pull on the
rope and the extension section will move up, effectively making your ladder
longer.

Be sure to keep your fingers out of the way when the sections are sliding.

Does that help at all?

--
Roger Shoaf

Old June 2nd 14, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to barry, CK wrote:
barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.
And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.
Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."
Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,
probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually
knows something answer the man...
CK

Old June 2nd 14, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 2, 2014 4:44:02 PM UTC-4, CK wrote:
replying to barry, CK wrote:

barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but

that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,

probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually

knows something answer the man...

CK

Speaking of knowing something, do you know the thread you're
replying to ended 7 years ago?
Old June 2nd 14, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to barry, CK wrote:

barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but

that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,

probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually

knows something answer the man...

CK

Speaking of knowing something, do you know the thread you're
replying to ended 7 years ago?

I got 100:1 on the odds in Vegas that he doesn't. One of those
Flashnews group web forum users.

Where do I collect my money?!
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Old June 3rd 14, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

CK wrote:
replying to barry, CK wrote:
barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.
And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.
Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."
Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,
probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually
knows something answer the man... CK

Hmm,
Whoa! need to read the manual or help from some one else to figure out
that? Amazing!