Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:24:29 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

[...]

She could use what she already has; the dog collar. Strap it on her
arm and take a stroll around the yard.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , frank1492 wrote:
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band.

AM, tuned to a staticky place between stations.

In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.

I've observed that some radios work better for this than others. We have one
radio that's just dandy for locating breaks, and another one that isn't worth
a hoot. Don't know why.

Fresh batteries make the job a lot easier.

My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done?

Yes. Tune an AM radio between stations, and move it side-to-side across the
suspected path of the wire, just above the ground. It's best to start in a
spot where you *know* the exact location of the wire -- like where it crosses
a driveway, or a sidewalk, where you can see the saw cut that the installer
made in the concrete or asphalt. Wave the radio back and forth until you hear
a definite change in the pattern of the static -- that's what you're searching
for. Then start walking along the path of the wire, continuing to wave the
radio back and forth.

Sooner or later, you'll come to a spot where the signal fades, and eventually
disappears completely. Mark that spot.

Now go back to where you started, and in the same manner, follow the wire
around the yard in the opposite direction. Again, you'll come to a place where
the signal fades, and eventually disappears completely. Mark that spot, too.

The break is approximately half-way between the marks.

If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)

Well, metal detectors aren't all *that* expensive... but the radio works just
fine.

I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.

Yep, that's all it is.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
dags

Gee, that was helpful.

"frank1492" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, that's almost guaranteed not to work. It would only work if the break
point was within a few inches of a node of the wavefront being propogated
down the wire. BTDT.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , frank1492
wrote:
[...]

Right. Actually, the best radio you could use is one of the cheaper ones,
cheaper the better. Or the oldest radio you might have in the house would
likely be sure to not be digital.

Since IIRC this was a dug up garden, there could be a lot more than just one
break in the wire, too. That would account for the "stop" areas mentioned
being really far apart, as in not quite to the garden edges yet. Especially
if a tiller was used. Those wires were probably only buried about 4 inches
deep, so chances of a tiller making spaghetti our of it are good.

If you have to make splices underground, be sure they're watertight. I find
that GE Silicone II works well in a cocoon around the splice.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , frank1492 wrote:
Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank

I should think so, yeah -- or anything made more than, say, five years ago.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:06:32 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , frank1492
wrote:
[...]

Transistor, circa '60s? Radio Shack may have a kit to build an AM
radio.

If you have to make splices underground, be sure they're watertight. I find
that GE Silicone II works well in a cocoon around the splice.

I like that shrink wrap stuff when you heat it..(auto store)

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK you buy the metal detector to find the break. In the process you pick up
a hum in the yard . Then you think hummmmmmm maybe a rare coin as you dig
you find a watch BUT its attached to an arm then what? As the police are
back- howing your yard after they tear out you fence
You think I should have sprung for the cheap radio
Wow it sure can get complicated

wrote:

If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)

Well, metal detectors aren't all *that* expensive... but the radio works
just fine.

Yeah, but then I'd have to keep it in the basement for the rest of my
life. Even if I buy it used and could sell it for the same price, I
wouldn't want to sell my metal detector, in case I need it again.

Why not just watch where the dog exits?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In article , frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Analog rather than digital pretty much because analog radios tend not
to have a "squelch" and you can hear whatever noise there is between
stations, whereas digital radios automatically apply squelch to, well,
squelch the noise (turn off the speaker whenever thewre is no signal).

Dave