A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 2nd 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 289
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank
Ads
  #2  
Old May 2nd 07, 04:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,619
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

dags
"frank1492" wrote in message
news
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank



  #3  
Old May 2nd 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:24:29 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank


She could use what she already has; the dog collar. Strap it on her
arm and take a stroll around the yard.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
  #4  
Old May 2nd 07, 01:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,380
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

In article , frank1492 wrote:
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band.


AM, tuned to a staticky place between stations.

In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.


I've observed that some radios work better for this than others. We have one
radio that's just dandy for locating breaks, and another one that isn't worth
a hoot. Don't know why.

Fresh batteries make the job a lot easier.

My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done?


Yes. Tune an AM radio between stations, and move it side-to-side across the
suspected path of the wire, just above the ground. It's best to start in a
spot where you *know* the exact location of the wire -- like where it crosses
a driveway, or a sidewalk, where you can see the saw cut that the installer
made in the concrete or asphalt. Wave the radio back and forth until you hear
a definite change in the pattern of the static -- that's what you're searching
for. Then start walking along the path of the wire, continuing to wave the
radio back and forth.

Sooner or later, you'll come to a spot where the signal fades, and eventually
disappears completely. Mark that spot.

Now go back to where you started, and in the same manner, follow the wire
around the yard in the opposite direction. Again, you'll come to a place where
the signal fades, and eventually disappears completely. Mark that spot, too.

The break is approximately half-way between the marks.

If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)


Well, metal detectors aren't all *that* expensive... but the radio works just
fine.

I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.


Yep, that's all it is.

--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
  #5  
Old May 2nd 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,380
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

In article , "Toller" wrote:
dags


Gee, that was helpful.

"frank1492" wrote in message
news
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank




--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
  #6  
Old May 2nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 289
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank



On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , frank1492 wrote:
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band.


AM, tuned to a staticky place between stations.

In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.


I've observed that some radios work better for this than others. We have one
radio that's just dandy for locating breaks, and another one that isn't worth
a hoot. Don't know why.

Fresh batteries make the job a lot easier.

My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done?


Yes. Tune an AM radio between stations, and move it side-to-side across the
suspected path of the wire, just above the ground. It's best to start in a
spot where you *know* the exact location of the wire -- like where it crosses
a driveway, or a sidewalk, where you can see the saw cut that the installer
made in the concrete or asphalt. Wave the radio back and forth until you hear
a definite change in the pattern of the static -- that's what you're searching
for. Then start walking along the path of the wire, continuing to wave the
radio back and forth.

Sooner or later, you'll come to a spot where the signal fades, and eventually
disappears completely. Mark that spot.

Now go back to where you started, and in the same manner, follow the wire
around the yard in the opposite direction. Again, you'll come to a place where
the signal fades, and eventually disappears completely. Mark that spot, too.

The break is approximately half-way between the marks.

If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)


Well, metal detectors aren't all *that* expensive... but the radio works just
fine.

I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.


Yep, that's all it is.


  #7  
Old May 2nd 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

Andy Asberry wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:24:29 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in this
system before, but she can't remember whether she was using the AM
or the FM band. In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.
My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this? And
if so, how is it done? If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)
I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little more
about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.
Your help is, as always, much appreciated.
Thank you.
Frank


She could use what she already has; the dog collar. Strap it on her
arm and take a stroll around the yard.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----


No, that's almost guaranteed not to work. It would only work if the break
point was within a few inches of a node of the wavefront being propogated
down the wire. BTDT.

Pop`


  #8  
Old May 2nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

frank1492 wrote:
Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank



On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , frank1492
wrote:
A friend has an invisible fence for her dog. The wire was apparently
severed by someone turning over soil in a rather large area adjacent
to her property.
She claims to have used a portable radio to find the break in
this system before, but she can't remember whether she was using
the AM
or the FM band.


AM, tuned to a staticky place between stations.

In any event, this time she has tried a different
radio (the other one is broken) with no success.


I've observed that some radios work better for this than others. We
have one
radio that's just dandy for locating breaks, and another one that
isn't worth
a hoot. Don't know why.

Fresh batteries make the job a lot easier.

My question is: Can one use a radio to find a break like this?
And if so, how is it done?


Yes. Tune an AM radio between stations, and move it side-to-side
across the
suspected path of the wire, just above the ground. It's best to
start in a
spot where you *know* the exact location of the wire -- like where
it crosses
a driveway, or a sidewalk, where you can see the saw cut that the
installer
made in the concrete or asphalt. Wave the radio back and forth until
you hear
a definite change in the pattern of the static -- that's what you're
searching
for. Then start walking along the path of the wire, continuing to
wave the
radio back and forth.

Sooner or later, you'll come to a spot where the signal fades, and
eventually
disappears completely. Mark that spot.

Now go back to where you started, and in the same manner, follow the
wire
around the yard in the opposite direction. Again, you'll come to a
place where
the signal fades, and eventually disappears completely. Mark that
spot, too.

The break is approximately half-way between the marks.

If not, is there an inexpensive device that
could be used to do it? (She doesn't want to spring for a metal
detector.)


Well, metal detectors aren't all *that* expensive... but the radio
works just
fine.

I really don't need more info, but would like to know a little
more about how invisible fences work. I would assume the wire simply
acts like a transmitting antenna.


Yep, that's all it is.


Right. Actually, the best radio you could use is one of the cheaper ones,
cheaper the better. Or the oldest radio you might have in the house would
likely be sure to not be digital.

Since IIRC this was a dug up garden, there could be a lot more than just one
break in the wire, too. That would account for the "stop" areas mentioned
being really far apart, as in not quite to the garden edges yet. Especially
if a tiller was used. Those wires were probably only buried about 4 inches
deep, so chances of a tiller making spaghetti our of it are good.

If you have to make splices underground, be sure they're watertight. I find
that GE Silicone II works well in a cocoon around the splice.

HTH
Pop`


  #10  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,380
Default Finding a Break in an "Invisible Fence" Wire

In article , frank1492 wrote:
Thanks so much Doug! Will relay this info to her.
One quick comment: The Petsafe guy told her she
would need an analog rather than a digital radio. I would
assume that would cover most of the cheapo AM's, no?
Thanks again!
Frank


I should think so, yeah -- or anything made more than, say, five years ago.

--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lightweight slotted fence posts: "lite" concrete or PVC? Robin UK diy 3 December 14th 06 10:31 PM
Orange Peel Texture? "Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" also "California Knock-down" HotRod Home Repair 6 September 28th 06 01:48 PM
Need help finding a "Fine Woodworking"article [email protected] Woodworking 9 February 7th 06 01:51 PM
No wonder I gave the LV jointing fence a "C-" yesterday in my "deplane has arrived" thread David Woodworking 0 November 10th 05 09:04 PM
Invisible Fence - Break Detection Ian Stock (remove the \antispam\) Home Repair 8 April 20th 04 05:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.