Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sewer easement

Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2 lots
away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get pipe run. I
obviously have never done this before. If they run the pipe along the road
to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I wouldn't need easement
if the city already had jurisdiction from the right of way. Anybody been
through this? Any ideas welcomed. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete Peterson wrote:
Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2
lots away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get
pipe run. I obviously have never done this before. If they run the
pipe along the road to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I
wouldn't need easement if the city already had jurisdiction
from the right of way. Anybody been through this? Any ideas
welcomed. TIA

I think they mean you need to get permission from the two lot owners between
you and the current end of the run?

What State, City etc. for more specific help.

Good luck, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete,

Are you sure that the city engineer understood that you wished to pay for
the run of pipe to your house along the street? My guess is that he thinks
you are trying to get your neighbors to pay for this. I'm not sure why you
would need to acquire any easements.
You need to be clear on who pays for what and how much everything will
cost. There is the cost of running the sewer lines along the road to your
house. Then there is a hook up fee to the sewer pipe. Most likely you'll pay
the city for this. Then you hire a private plumber to dig up your lawn and
connect your house to the sewer line.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete Peterson" wrote in message
Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2 lots
away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get pipe run.
I obviously have never done this before. If they run the pipe along the
road to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I wouldn't need
easement if the city already had jurisdiction from the right of way.
Anybody been through this? Any ideas welcomed. TIA

It might be that the city has a roadway easement but not a utility easement.
This can vary greatly from area to area and from the time that the property
was subdivided. If you need to cross another person's property and there is
not a recorded utility easement then you will need to obtain one.

Deeded property lines can run from the front or back of any curb or sidewalk
or even from the center of the road bed in older developments. This is a
local issue and no one here can tell you for sure unless they are in the
same subdivision as you.

Are the two lots closer to the sewer connected or not? Would there be any
benefit to them to connect? A mutual project grants a higher level of
cooperation.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 5:10 pm, "Pete Peterson" wrote:
Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2 lots
away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get pipe run. I
obviously have never done this before. If they run the pipe along the road
to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I wouldn't need easement
if the city already had jurisdiction from the right of way. Anybody been
through this? Any ideas welcomed. TIA

You should consult an attorney who deals in real estate. Depending on
your state's laws, your neighbors could encur a sewage bill from the
city just by having the line on their property, even if they're not
connected. You may be able to find the legal forms on a website that
are valid for your city, but maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 9:26 pm, cmiles3 wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:10 pm, "Pete Peterson" wrote:

Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2 lots
away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get pipe run. I
obviously have never done this before. If they run the pipe along the road
to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I wouldn't need easement
if the city already had jurisdiction from the right of way. Anybody been
through this? Any ideas welcomed. TIA

You should consult an attorney who deals in real estate. Depending on
your state's laws, your neighbors could encur a sewage bill from the
city just by having the line on their property, even if they're not
connected. You may be able to find the legal forms on a website that
are valid for your city, but maybe not.

Before involving a lawyer, I'd get some basic questions out of the
way. As others have suggested, you need to find out why an easement
is required and from whom. The folks who can answer this are the
sewer dept who know where they want to run the line. Apparently, they
plan to run it through someones land where they do not currently own
the land or have an easement. If it's just continuing down the
public street you are on, it would be unusual for them to expect you
to get the easement, but it's possible, depending on who owns what.