Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a/c fan wont start

I noticed my home was not colling but air was blowing. I hit the
power switch to the a/c unit for a minute and tried it again. I hope
i didnt just bunr out the unit completely!! I hear clicking a what
sounds like a motor running outside, and the air still comes through
the vents, but the fan will not spin. HELP!.. single parent no
money ... in hot azz FL!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 2:45 am, mrbubl wrote:
wrote:
I noticed my home was not colling but air was blowing. I hit the
power switch to the a/c unit for a minute and tried it again. I hope
i didnt just bunr out the unit completely!! I hear clicking a what
sounds like a motor running outside, and the air still comes through
the vents, but the fan will not spin. HELP!.. single parent no
money ... in hot azz FL!!

could be:
contactor (relay) outside ($100)for parts
capacitor outside ($100) for parts
fan motor is bad. ($200) for parts

Those prices seem typical and reasonable; plus labour and use of
tools, possibly new 'freon' gas and miscellaneous, cost of coming to
house,etc.
There is no one simple answer. You (or someone you trust not to
overcharge you) have to trouble shoot it to identify cause of the
problem.
If you do not have the skills to electrically/mechanically to do so,
get someone who knows how.
Cos otherwise one can start replacing pieces which have nothing to do
with the problem and or it will cost more in the longer term!
This is rather like saying "My electric kettle does not boil"; without
identifying whether the kettle is faulty, the outlet or the or cord is
broken, there is a fuse or circuit breaker open, the power went off or
there is a fault on 'one side' of the power supply to the house.
Your AC unit problem may be something simple, and cheap. Or a major
component failure which has decided to pack up as the warm season
starts!
It's getting hot and my sons vehicle air conditioning for example
needs re-charging. It has leaked coolant since a local outfit here
buggered it up on him a while ago and it now does not cool adequately.
Sorry not to be specific.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a couple ideas why your fan isn't starting. But any
repair needs someone who is familiar with electricity, and
servicing equipment. There isn't any really easy answer. It's
very likely going to need some specialized AC parts, and someone
to install the parts.

I'd suggest to call your friends and neighbors. Ask them to
reccomend an honest AC repair firm.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.