Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does it harm a self propelled mower to be pulled back with the drive disengaged?

I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I would imagine it depends on the design of the mower. I personally have
never heard of such a problem, after all, what are you supposed to do when
you want to pull out of a tight area or rework a bad section.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

As long as the drive is released there should be no problem. I've used a
self-propelled Toro for years and never had a problem going backwards once
the drive was released. By the way....I highly recommend Toro. Good luck.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 5:32 pm, wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on themowerwhen you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Hi,

I have a Honda HRC216 HXA. When I release the clutch, the mower is in
"freewheel" mode. Hence you can pull and push it. The drive is
disconnected. Again it depends on the mower I guess.

I like my mower and recomend it. The only bad thing about it is the
price, I think about $US 1,129 and only availabe at honda dealers, not
at home depot ....

Warmest regards, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 2:32 pm, wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Why would you even want to pull it back with teh drive engaged? I've
seen several variations on drives and don't recall any that make it a
big deal to disengage the drive.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.

When you pull it back, you must disengage the drive unit or it will be
trying to go away from you. If you have a lot of tight areas, a lot of
shrubs or trees to go around, get a standard push mower. I hated my self
propelled on my lawn as it was just awkward to hand in tight spots. If you
have lots of straight cutting, they are fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back.

...snipped...

No merritt or merit either!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"Remi" wrote in message
As long as the drive is released there should be no problem. I've used a
self-propelled Toro for years and never had a problem going backwards once
the drive was released. By the way....I highly recommend Toro. Good luck.

As long as the drive is released --

I have a Sears Craftsman, self-propelled rear drive unit with the easy walk
feature - adjustable speed lever on the push bar. It is possible to prevent
the ratchets in the drive wheel gears from releasing if you pull the mower
backward before releasing the drive. Then one of the drive wheels will lock
and make for a hard backward pull. This only happens when I make a panic
stop -- like when I suddenly see a sprinkler head that is extended.

Maybe I need to go back to mower driving school.

SJF

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"SJF" wrote in message

"Remi" wrote in message
As long as the drive is released there should be no problem. I've used a
self-propelled Toro for years and never had a problem going backwards
once the drive was released. By the way....I highly recommend Toro. Good
luck.

As long as the drive is released --

I have a Sears Craftsman, self-propelled rear drive unit with the easy
walk feature - adjustable speed lever on the push bar. It is possible to
prevent the ratchets in the drive wheel gears from releasing if you pull
the mower backward before releasing the drive. Then one of the drive
wheels will lock and make for a hard backward pull. This only happens
when I make a panic stop -- like when I suddenly see a sprinkler head that
is extended.

Maybe I need to go back to mower driving school.

SJF

In view of the OP's question, I should add -- it releases when you go
forward again. No damage to the machine.

SJF

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:08:00 -0400, mm
wrote:

That seems strange. I pull the mower back all the time when doing
around bushes, etc. and when I had a self-propelled Motor-Mower (1958
to 1964) I did the same thing with no problem.

To be clear: I had to disengage the drive of course, but it was easy
on that model to go back and forth.

How can one live with a mower that can't be pulled backwards?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 10:10 pm, Harry K wrote:
On May 1, 2:32 pm, wrote:

I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Why would you even want to pull it back with teh drive engaged?

I didn't say that.

The clerk said and showed me that the gears on the mower were still
engaged enough to resist backward pulling. Will have to go back and
see what model he showed me.

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:10 am, (Larry W) wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back.

...snipped...

No merritt or merit either!

My rrr key stutterrrs.

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

How hard is it on a drive train to spin tires? VERY HARD! Look for front
drive where you can just lift the front wheels off the ground and pull it
back. Otherwise simply disengage the drive before you need to go into and
out of tight spaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to amyotte, P Thomas Hanlon wrote:
WIth my Sears Craftsman, it's a safety feature, so the mower won't slide back
on you by accident. The wheels will freewheel if you rock it back and forth
with the drive disengaged. Note that on my old (15 plus years or so), it
doesn't freewheel very dependably. I'm not sure it was ever easy to do, but
that's the deal.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-t-213900-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Well, after 11 years I hope the OP hasn't been waiting for this latest response....