Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Deck over Old Deck?

I just purchased a home with a deck. The previous owner built a new
screen room on top of the 20 year old deck without doing anything to
renew the deck. I have tried pressure washing it but the boards are
in poor shape. Turning or replacing the deck boards is not an option
without dis-assembling the entire screen room. Can I purchase 5/4x6
PT boards and just install them on top of the old deck? If so, how
long would I have to wait before I could stain them considering they
are shaded by roof of the screen room?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If it is just a screened in room that means that water can blow in onto the
floor boards. If the new boards are nailed down directly onto the old ones,
water will be able to penetrate between the boards and stay there to
encourage warping and worse mould, mildew and rot.

If you have enough height clearance at doorways, you possibly could rip some
strips of pressure treated or weather resistant wood about 1/2", 3/4" or 1"
thick, and nail it down over the old floor right over the joists under the
old floor. This will provide an air space to prevent water from being
trapped. Your new floor could be laid over the strips nailing or screwing
through to the old floor.

If you do not have the height to build up the floor properly, you may have
to saw around the walls to remove the old boards and replace them with new
ones. It may take some creative solution to cover up the remnants of the old
floor at the walls where the saw cannot cut very close to the walls.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased a home with a deck. The previous owner built a new
screen room on top of the 20 year old deck without doing anything to
renew the deck. I have tried pressure washing it but the boards are
in poor shape. Turning or replacing the deck boards is not an option
without dis-assembling the entire screen room. Can I purchase 5/4x6
PT boards and just install them on top of the old deck? If so, how
long would I have to wait before I could stain them considering they
are shaded by roof of the screen room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 10:35 am, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

oups.com...

I just purchased a home with a deck. The previous owner built a new
screen room on top of the 20 year old deck without doing anything to
renew the deck. I have tried pressure washing it but the boards are
in poor shape. Turning or replacing the deck boards is not an option
without dis-assembling the entire screen room. Can I purchase 5/4x6
PT boards and just install them on top of the old deck? If so, how
long would I have to wait before I could stain them considering they
are shaded by roof of the screen room?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, water can still blow in onto the boards. I do have enough room
under the threshhold of the french door to build up the deck. Would
the existing gap between boards provide enough ventilation for drying?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Not with nailing new boards in contact with the old. Sure fire recipe for
mould and decay. If you space the boards away from the old ones as I
described you would have a space to allow the wood to dry out, but it still
could be a problem with dust, dirt and insects filling in the space with
moisture holding debris.

"powerman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 30, 10:35 am, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

oups.com...

I just purchased a home with a deck. The previous owner built a new
screen room on top of the 20 year old deck without doing anything to
renew the deck. I have tried pressure washing it but the boards are
in poor shape. Turning or replacing the deck boards is not an option
without dis-assembling the entire screen room. Can I purchase 5/4x6
PT boards and just install them on top of the old deck? If so, how
long would I have to wait before I could stain them considering they
are shaded by roof of the screen room?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, water can still blow in onto the boards. I do have enough room
under the threshhold of the french door to build up the deck. Would
the existing gap between boards provide enough ventilation for drying?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased a home with a deck. The previous owner built a new
screen room on top of the 20 year old deck without doing anything to
renew the deck. I have tried pressure washing it but the boards are
in poor shape. Turning or replacing the deck boards is not an option
without dis-assembling the entire screen room. Can I purchase 5/4x6
PT boards and just install them on top of the old deck? If so, how
long would I have to wait before I could stain them considering they
are shaded by roof of the screen room?

Get yourself a HEPA face mask and and sander and refinish your "floor."

It will look BETTER than a new deck when you are finished.

deck highflyr Home Repair 2 September 3rd 06 04:20 AM
new deck help Dave Home Repair 5 June 6th 06 02:36 AM
Protecting Deck from Deck Chair Scrapes Guido Home Repair 8 June 8th 04 07:22 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 Woodworking 19 July 22nd 03 03:20 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Emily Lattella Home Repair 2 July 16th 03 08:07 PM