Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connecting Extension Cords

I'm hoping someone can answer a questions about the best way to
connect two extension cords. Both are 50' long. One is made of 14/3
wires. The other is made with 12/3 wires. My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug? The heavier gauge cord
or should that be the one on the end of the connection as it would
have less resistence?

Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug?

(At the risk of starting another "run or walk through rain" controversy

Series AC impedance (unlike DC resistance) is minimized by ordering the
segment impedance to increase towards the load. So put the 14/3 after the
12/3 if you want to be perfect about it. But the AC impedance effect is
trivial in this situation, so it doesn't really matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug?

(At the risk of starting another "run or walk through rain" controversy

Actually, that one *does* make a noticeable difference, unlike the extension
cords.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug?

(At the risk of starting another "run or walk through rain" controversy

Series AC impedance (unlike DC resistance) is minimized by ordering the
segment impedance to increase towards the load. So put the 14/3 after the
12/3 if you want to be perfect about it. But the AC impedance effect is
trivial in this situation, so it doesn't really matter.

Then why did you mention it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Charlie Morgan wrote:

Unless the device you need to power draws very little power and doesn't care
about voltage, you really should get a proper 10/3 100 foot extension cord.
Just
the 50 foot 14/3 is going to have significant losses from end to end.

Ummmmm.... 14ga copper wire has a resistance of 2.58 milliohms per foot, or
129 milliohms in fifty feet. Just how much of a loss do you suppose that's
going to cause?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Electrically, it's all the same. They are in series

Ummmm.. no. Plugging one into the other constitutes a junction point,
nothing more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Charlie Morgan wrote:

Unless the device you need to power draws very little power and doesn't care
about voltage, you really should get a proper 10/3 100 foot extension cord.
Just
the 50 foot 14/3 is going to have significant losses from end to end.

Ummmmm.... 14ga copper wire has a resistance of 2.58 milliohms per foot, or
129 milliohms in fifty feet. Just how much of a loss do you suppose that's
going to cause?

That's 258 milliohms per 50 feet (there's two conductors) It's enough
to sometimes cause a 1.5 HP capacitor-start motor to fail to start.
BTDT. It's probably not significant for anything else.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was going to say "wire nuts" but he probably wants to use the
cords again. I like your logic, to put the lighter cord out where
it's moving around.

Electrically, it's all the same. They are in series.

Lordy. Go to Sams Club or wherever, spend 30 or 40 bucks, and get a proper
100-foot contractor cord. That is what I did when I noticed the connectors
on the strung-together cords I was using were getting rather warm to the
touch. It is heavy, so it is a workout rolling it up and carrying it, but
all the connections stay nice and cool now. Plus, the GFCI doesn't trip any
more.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 1:10 am, wrote:
I'm hoping someone can answer a questions about the best way to
connect two extension cords. Both are 50' long. One is made of 14/3
wires. The other is made with 12/3 wires. My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug? The heavier gauge cord
or should that be the one on the end of the connection as it would
have less resistence?

Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

No difference, from theoretical electrical viewpoint.
And assuming the voltage is nominal 115 volts.
What are the 12/3 or 14/3 extension cords to be used to power?
If it's a single 60 watt inspection lamp bulb, volt drop
insignificant.
To try and power a 3 HP compressor or something which has an ampere
load exceeding the rated ampacity of #14 AWG, possibly major volt drop
problems especially during motor starts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the information. This is
for a fence repair project so I'll be using the cords to power a
battery charger (drill and screw driver) and a portable circular saw
(about 13 amps) for short periods of time (long enough to cut 4" x
3/4" cedar boards to length).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the information. This is
for a fence repair project so I'll be using the cords to power a
battery charger (drill and screw driver) and a portable circular saw
(about 13 amps) for short periods of time (long enough to cut 4" x
3/4" cedar boards to length).

Is it a 15a or 20a circuit? How far is the outlet from the breaker box?
I wouldn't run a 13a saw on it unless it was a 20a circuit close to the
breaker box.
Charger should be fine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , Charlie Morgan
wrote:

Unless the device you need to power draws very little power and doesn't
care
about voltage, you really should get a proper 10/3 100 foot extension
cord.
Just
the 50 foot 14/3 is going to have significant losses from end to end.

Ummmmm.... 14ga copper wire has a resistance of 2.58 milliohms per foot,
or
129 milliohms in fifty feet. Just how much of a loss do you suppose that's
going to cause?

Depends on how much an energy hog the equipment is. Putting a 14/3 25'
extensions cord on a small air compressor can cause blown breakers where no
extension cord causes no problem. For a normal 3/8" drill you would
probably not notice much of a difference at 100' if you were not working at
the limit of the drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the information. This is
for a fence repair project so I'll be using the cords to power a
battery charger (drill and screw driver) and a portable circular saw
(about 13 amps) for short periods of time (long enough to cut 4" x
3/4" cedar boards to length).

You might get by with it. If you measure what you need and cut the boards
at the house you will have no problem at all and you will have less weight
to carry all the way back to the fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the information. This is
for a fence repair project so I'll be using the cords to power a
battery charger (drill and screw driver) and a portable circular saw
(about 13 amps) for short periods of time (long enough to cut 4" x
3/4" cedar boards to length).

Is it a 15a or 20a circuit? How far is the outlet from the breaker box?
I wouldn't run a 13a saw on it unless it was a 20a circuit close to the
breaker box.
Charger should be fine...

Circular saws have universal motors. They handle low voltage much
better than induction motors. Should be fine. If he uses it
continuously, the connections may get hot, but nobody uses a portable
saw that way.

Why wouldn't you run a 13A load on a 15A circuit (assuming the circuit
wasn't already heavily loaded)?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug?

(At the risk of starting another "run or walk through rain"
controversy

Series AC impedance (unlike DC resistance) is minimized by ordering
the segment impedance to increase towards the load. So put the 14/3
after the 12/3 if you want to be perfect about it. But the AC
impedance effect is trivial in this situation, so it doesn't really
matter.

In other words, you're blatherskiting and have no intention of helping the
OP but if you cause a little confusion, that's OK?

Dumb!

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Charlie
Morgan wrote:
Unless the device you need to power draws very little power and
doesn't care about voltage, you really should get a proper 10/3 100
foot extension cord. Just
the 50 foot 14/3 is going to have significant losses from end to
end.

Ummmmm.... 14ga copper wire has a resistance of 2.58 milliohms per
foot, or 129 milliohms in fifty feet. Just how much of a loss do you
suppose that's going to cause?

That's 258 milliohms per 50 feet (there's two conductors) It's enough
to sometimes cause a 1.5 HP capacitor-start motor to fail to start.
BTDT. It's probably not significant for anything else.

Bob

Makes an electric stapler pretty sloggy, nailer won't even think about
getting near its potential.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Charlie
Morgan wrote:
Unless the device you need to power draws very little power and
doesn't care about voltage, you really should get a proper 10/3 100
foot extension cord. Just
the 50 foot 14/3 is going to have significant losses from end to
end.
Ummmmm.... 14ga copper wire has a resistance of 2.58 milliohms per
foot, or 129 milliohms in fifty feet. Just how much of a loss do you
suppose that's going to cause?

That's 258 milliohms per 50 feet (there's two conductors) It's enough
to sometimes cause a 1.5 HP capacitor-start motor to fail to start.
BTDT. It's probably not significant for anything else.

Bob

Makes an electric stapler pretty sloggy, nailer won't even think about
getting near its potential.

I forgot about that one. It was actually the electric nailer that
prompted me to make a short 12 gauge extension cord way back when.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` writes:

In other words, you're blatherskiting and have no intention of helping
the OP but if you cause a little confusion, that's OK?

No, I gave a detailed answer and the practical implications.

If you want to be stupid about how things work, fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should work just fine for that low load charger. And the
intermittent saw.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the information.
This is
: for a fence repair project so I'll be using the cords to power
: battery charger (drill and screw driver) and a portable
circular saw
: (about 13 amps) for short periods of time (long enough to cut
4" x
: 3/4" cedar boards to length).
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only draws 13 amps under full load. Just feed the saw in slowly,
so it doesn't bog down too much. Slow cuts will take less
amperage.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.