Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Self Adhesive Tape?

Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The
drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first
coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on
the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is
there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Franz wrote:
Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The
drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first
coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on
the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is
there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

For exposed edges you want something called J-bead (or J-channel). Its
either metal or plastic and it slips onto the exposed end to protect it.
It can be painted.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On Apr 25, 10:06 pm, "Al Franz" wrote:
Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The
drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first
coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on
the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is
there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

Hi Al,

You really need to get some additional information on drywalling...and
I would suggest the Taunton Press books like http://www.amazon.com/
Taunton-Press-070261-Drywall-Techniques/dp/B00002256L, or something
similar at your local library. With a quick google, there's things
like this http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?
page_id=35693854.

Basically you need to do addtional research, and while it's not easy,
done right it can be rewarding when finished.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Chris Friesen :
Al Franz wrote:
Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The
drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first
coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on
the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is
there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

For exposed edges you want something called J-bead (or J-channel). Its
either metal or plastic and it slips onto the exposed end to protect it.
It can be painted.

Or even some scrap trim or some such. It's just a garage ;-)

The only "self-adhesive" drywall tape I'm aware of is fiberglass mesh.
Which provides only crack resistance, and that only after it's been
mudded. Some drywallers prefer it to the more usual paper tape,
for the same applications (seams and sometimes inside corners).

I didn't bother doing anything with the edges of the drywall in my
garage, but none of it is likely to get hit, so, it didn't need any.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is self-adhesive paper tape. Avoid it at all costs. It lifts. Trust
me...
Either straight-paper or mesh.

"Al Franz" wrote in message
. ..
Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams.
The drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the
first coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some
tape on the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be
perfect? Is there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 3:08 pm, "Jack" wrote:
There is self-adhesive paper tape. Avoid it at all costs. It lifts. Trust
me...
Either straight-paper or mesh.

"Al Franz" wrote in message

. ..

Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams.
The drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the
first coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some
tape on the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be
perfect? Is there self adhesive tape I could use as well?- Hide quoted text -

And don't use the mesh on 'cut' seams. It is great on factory
indented edges but on a butt seam (both edges cut) it is very
difficult to cover with mud.

Harry K