Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Difference between copper pipe hangers?

(For 1/2" 3/4" etc)

I see two types:
One type fits around the pipe and uses two screws fastened into the
wood (or whatever)

The other has a round copper piece where a large wood screw goes
through the middle and then two pieces with two copper screws hold the
pipe in place.

The first type seems much easier and cheaper but there must be a
reason or specific application for the second type. Anyone know where
to use the second type?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:
(For 1/2" 3/4" etc)

I see two types:
One type fits around the pipe and uses two screws fastened into the
wood (or whatever)

The other has a round copper piece where a large wood screw goes
through the middle and then two pieces with two copper screws hold the
pipe in place.

The first type seems much easier and cheaper but there must be a
reason or specific application for the second type. Anyone know where
to use the second type?

1) Where there's possible need to remove the pipe w/o removing the
clamp mount.
2) Whereever one wants...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

(For 1/2" 3/4" etc)

I see two types:
One type fits around the pipe and uses two screws fastened into the
wood (or whatever)

The other has a round copper piece where a large wood screw goes
through the middle and then two pieces with two copper screws hold the
pipe in place.

The first type seems much easier and cheaper but there must be a
reason or specific application for the second type. Anyone know where
to use the second type?

1) Where there's possible need to remove the pipe w/o removing the
clamp mount.
2) Whereever one wants...

Why would anyone "possibly need to remove a pipe" ? If you have to
remove a pipe then the minor holes in the sheetrock are the least of
your problems. Secondly, couldn't you pretty easily remove a pipe
without removing the clamp mount regardless of which type you use?
ie: loosen the screws a little, cut your pipe and pull it through.
Sorry, your post made very little sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 23, 9:29 pm, wrote:
On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

(For 1/2" 3/4" etc)

I see two types:
One type fits around the pipe and uses two screws fastened into the
wood (or whatever)

The other has a round copper piece where a large wood screw goes
through the middle and then two pieces with two copper screws hold the
pipe in place.

The first type seems much easier and cheaper but there must be a
reason or specific application for the second type. Anyone know where
to use the second type?

1) Where there's possible need to remove the pipe w/o removing the
clamp mount.
2) Whereever one wants...

Why would anyone "possibly need to remove a pipe" ? ...

Replace the water heater perhaps??? Many reasons and many piping
situations other than the plainest...

If the hanger were mounted permanently (say in masonry or concrete w/
Hilti), removing it isn't necessarily so simple, is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 10:57 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:29 pm, wrote:

On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

Since when does replacing the hot water heater require the removing of
pipes? Typically you have minimal modifications to make and not
removing entire 10 foot sections of pipe. The hangers are supposed to
be used with the copper "wood" screw that is included with it. It is
not recommended to mix metals. Masonry? Don't people use tapcons or
even lead lags? You make it sound as though anyone installing any
pipe has on their mind "I might want to move this one day." I really
don't think that is the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
(For 1/2" 3/4" etc)

I see two types:
One type fits around the pipe and uses two screws fastened into the
wood (or whatever)

The other has a round copper piece where a large wood screw goes
through the middle and then two pieces with two copper screws hold the
pipe in place.

The first type seems much easier and cheaper but there must be a
reason or specific application for the second type. Anyone know where
to use the second type?

you didn't ask, but I like the plastic ones.

I assume your second one is where the pipe isn't immediately next to a stud.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 23, 10:40 pm, wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:29 pm, wrote:

On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

You're ok to think what you want...in most instances it isn't required
to remove, but there are places/times where having access for future
is, in fact, a desired feature or necessity. Normally, one would use
unions or other fittings when installing but trust me, there are
cases. The water heater was simply a trivial example that you
hopefully could begin to at least imagine the possibilities...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 23, 10:40 pm, wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:29 pm, wrote:

On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

Think what you will and I didn't say it's the whole or only reason but
one reason to choose...the water heater was simply one trivial example
of why one _might_ want/need to have a section of pipe removable to
let you try and imagine a reason. I certainly wouldn't expect it to
be any more than a short section that would be fitted w/ unions or
similar, not a full joint as you seem to think.

It's one reason which I believe is valid -- if you don't like it,
fine, create your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 2:29 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:40 pm, wrote:

On Apr 23, 10:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:29 pm, wrote:

On Apr 23, 8:57 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 23, 3:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

Ok, Actually here's a much better reason with respect to future
modifications. With the hanging type (with a single wood screw in the
middle) you can probably cut this pipe using a small tubing cutter
and also be able to resolder say a T fitting without having to remove
any of this pipe at all and you also won't burn down the house. This
is all due to the extra offset that this type of hanger provides.

With the regular hangers you would have a much bigger job.

That's probably the best example. (Your Hilti example was not good -
a masonry gun would blow this thing apart. It's thin copper not
structural steel.)