Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Vent: Window Well Covers...

Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window.
That window has a window well cover (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/
servlet/the-9069/Detail). I had planned on taking out one of the
panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this
vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of
this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar
shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"waves2ya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window.
That window has a window well cover (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/
servlet/the-9069/Detail). I had planned on taking out one of the
panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this
vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of
this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar
shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

For aesthetics, yes. A vent through a window hole just looks hillbilly,
IMHO. Will it work with a cover on the window well? Not very well- that is a
pretty small space, and the air will get saturated quickly, even of the
window well cover isn't a tight fit. It'll be a mini-rainforest, and things
will start growing in there. I'd go through the rim joist above the sill
plate, and put a proper flapper cap on it. If those words are confusing,
just google 'dryer vent installation', or pick up a DIY book. There are lots
of pictures out there.

Mine goes through a window pane, and exits under the 18" tall back deck.
When and if I get around to reskinning the deck, that will change, not sure
exactly how yet. Maybe an external snorkel up through the deck, or a
lift-out panel for access. (You need to be able to get to the outside
flapper to clean it.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"waves2ya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window.
That window has a window well cover (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/
servlet/the-9069/Detail). I had planned on taking out one of the
panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this
vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of
this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar
shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

I have seen the dryer vent through the window pane set-up before. It is
certainly possible to do it that way. However the air from the dryer needs
to flow outside somehow otherwise the clothes won't dry. Unless you prop
the window well cover open you will be preventing the dryer from operating
properly. You can also count on the window well getting covered with lint.

Fiberglass covers for basement window wells Nospam Home Repair 0 June 9th 06 05:59 PM
Dryer vent Chas12 Home Repair 32 December 22nd 05 03:29 PM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 10:40 PM
Air deflector - Sofa covers a floor vent Stan Home Repair 4 August 1st 04 05:54 PM
Help with dryer vent on glass block window Jordan Powell Home Repair 7 February 27th 04 03:56 AM