Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

Old April 16th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark

Old April 16th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I had sheet vinyl flooring glued to my slab floor. I was told I could
use thinset to lay ceramic tile directly on the clean vinyl. I didn't
believe it so I tried a few pieces inside a pantry closet. It stuck
so well that I did the whole kitchen. Six years later absolutely no
problems.

On Apr 16, 4:47 pm, wrote:
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

Old April 16th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It
should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are
nervous about it use flex mortar.

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick
tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Mark

Old April 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark

I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Old April 16th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"mtldude" wrote in message
ups.com...

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It
should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are
nervous about it use flex mortar.

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick
tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

It could. Stability is the issue.

Old April 16th 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

Old April 16th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Why not go with a laminate flooring. It would eliminate a lot of problems
and still look good.

Old April 17th 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"mtldude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale
for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

At a minimum, securely fasten 1/4" hardiebacker over the existing tile per
the instructions, use thinset to set the tile and then grout.

Old April 17th 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Why not just leave it alone?
Personally I wouldn't consider a house with a tiled kitchen. Since you
don't know what a prospective buyer might like, why spend money on something
that might cost you a sale?

Peel & stick flooring [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 09:29 PM
peel and stick tile jtpr Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:11 PM
Taking up Peel & Stick Tiles Suzie-Q Home Repair 3 December 28th 04 06:20 PM
Stick on Vinyl tile Q's Randy Mahoney Home Ownership 0 August 8th 04 10:31 PM
Peel and Stick Tile Rufus V. Smith Home Repair 6 September 5th 03 01:45 PM