Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to measure window size?

Hello everybody,

I must be missing something... I want to replace a window, but I
can't measure "unit size" or "rough openning" while the old window is
still in. How do I figure out the correct size to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everybody,

I must be missing something... I want to replace a window, but I
can't measure "unit size" or "rough openning" while the old window is
still in. How do I figure out the correct size to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Arkadiy

New construction or replacement type?

They are 2 completely different critters and how you measure depends on the
style you will use.

RO refers to the measurement between the studs on the side of the opening
and the header at the top and the plate at the bottom. You have to take the
trim off and expose the opening to measure it if you want to do it right.

But then you have to have a way to install it after you do. Real hard to use
new contractions style on a brick home. With vinyl you can remove the
siding and replace it.

Most replacement windows are ordered as replacement type. What they fit
inside is the next question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 2:11 pm, "Arkadiy" wrote:
Hello everybody,

I must be missing something... I want to replace a window, but I
can't measure "unit size" or "rough openning" while the old window is
still in. How do I figure out the correct size to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Arkadiy

Carefully pry off the old interior trim. This may allow you to
measure the rough opening. The rough opening ma be covered with
drywall but you can carefully trim it back to reveal the edge of the
opening.

Alternatively, you could measure the size of the old window frame
itself and add perhaps 1/2 inch to both width and length. Another low
risk alternative is to go ahead and remove the old window completely
to measure the RO. Cover with plywood until the window comes in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hello everybody,
|
| I must be missing something... I want to replace a window, but I
| can't measure "unit size" or "rough openning" while the old window is
| still in. How do I figure out the correct size to buy a new one?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Arkadiy

replacement window:
measure from inside
interior casing to interior casing for width
open window
measure from inside
interior header casing to bottom of sil for height.
this is the ROUGH OPENING

new construction window:
add 1 1/2 inches to dimensions above for ROUGH OPENING