PEX and water pressure ratings

Old April 14th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX and water pressure ratings

I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

At my house I have a pretty varied range of water pressures, talking to my
neighbor who happens to work for the water district, he indicates that we
get about from 30 to 75 psi from our lines depending upon the time of day.
Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized).

I know pressure reducers and pressure regulators can be installed, but it
seems like 80 psi is the breaking point for that type of installation -
although I've heard that high water pressure can wear out fixtures faster,
and my neighbors have had that experience.

Old April 14th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:19:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

HTH.

http://www.vanguardpipe.com/pdfs/VanexTechdata.pdf

--
Oren

Old April 14th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 11:19 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

At my house I have a pretty varied range of water pressures, talking to my
neighbor who happens to work for the water district, he indicates that we
get about from 30 to 75 psi from our lines depending upon the time of day.
Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized).

I know pressure reducers and pressure regulators can be installed, but it
seems like 80 psi is the breaking point for that type of installation -
although I've heard that high water pressure can wear out fixtures faster,
and my neighbors have had that experience.

Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200F at 80 psi, 180F at 100 psi,
and 73.4F at 160 psi.

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=25&brandid=

cheers
Bob

Old April 14th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Oooohh, that's cutting it pretty damn close.

Sounds like in a PEX environment keeping water pressure at 60psi or lower
would give a much better factor of safety.

Old April 14th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200F at 80 psi, 180F at 100 psi,
and 73.4F at 160 psi.

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=25&brandid=

cheers
Bob

Oooohh, that's cutting it pretty damn close.

Sounds like in a PEX environment keeping water pressure at 60psi or lower
would give a much better factor of safety.

What is cutting close? It can take 100 psi and 180 degrees. Your hot water
should be only about 125 or so.
Note: Wirsbo 1/2" AQUAPEX tubing is listed to UL1821 and ULC/ORD C199 P and
carries an additional rating of 120 degrees F at 130 psi.

Do you have pressure near 130?

Old April 14th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:08:40 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Old April 15th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120 to
130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Old April 15th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120
to 130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

the higher rhe pressure the higher the bill$ & more leaks=more mold and
mildew and more waste and more higher bill$. but if you don't care about
the environment or your $ you are another rude american and obviously a
moron

Old April 15th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Not at all.

An inspector for the sale of a home; said, in his report the pressure
was to high - post 85 something. The buyer wanted me to fix this
issue.

I used another pressure gauge and challenged him.!

We meet in the middle; nothing forceful about it.

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120 to
130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Good for you.

--
Oren

Old April 15th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:56:30 -0400, "phish" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120
to 130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

the higher rhe pressure the higher the bill$ & more leaks=more mold and
mildew and more waste and more higher bill$. but if you don't care about
the environment or your $ you are another rude american and obviously a
moron

I'm an American, rude or not........ !!
--
Oren