Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Standby Generator Advice

I have read a number of the previous posts, but I still have some
questions.

Based on my understanding of my likely power needs, I will likely need
a 12-16kW generator. I live in South Florida, so I will need to run at
least one central AC and because there are no natural gas lines all
appliances including cooktop and water heater are electric.I plan on
installing a 500 gallon underground LP tank to run whatever I get.

1) Which one should I get?
There are three standby generators that I am looking at:

Kohler 12kW
Generac Quiet Source 16kW
Briggs and Straton 15kW

Could I get some feedback on which one folks would recommend.
Reliability is most important, obviously. Second is noise and finally
efficiency.

2) During the post-Hurricane period, I have heard that LP companies
use vehicles that run on LP gas, so deliveries should not be a
problem. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 9:44�pm, "boatdrinks" wrote:
[...]

those are big, fuel used is largely dependent on absolute size. Are
you getting a auto on generator that will start and run AUTOMATICALLY
anytime the power fails?

If so 500 gallons sounds small, and during a disaster assume
deliveries will be interrupted, downed trees on roads etc

you dont need to run your home normally, you can ration the power t
run fridge for awhile, then poerhaps a window AC kept in a closet for
emergencies, plus leave some power for the neighbors, then wouldnt
complain about the noise if they are getting a extension cord from you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:44 pm, "boatdrinks" wrote:
[...]

Alt.energy.homepower is where you should ask, many are off grid.
3600 rpm engines wont do much more than 3000hrs, real cheap small 3600
rpm units may not even last 300 . 1800rpm units can last 12000 hours
easily. 500 galloms propane is alot of energy that should last you
awhile. You have alot of options in price-quality to research

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I purchased a Generac unit 5 years ago due to the frequent power
outages in my remote area in upstate NY. The unit handles all my
essentials, furnace, well water pump, refridgerator, TV, etc.
My advise is to not scrimp, spend the extra money so you aren't
juggling extension cords every time you have an outage.
Yes they do make some noise, better this than going without
electrcity.
Knuriata

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 9:11�am, wrote:
[...]

Knuriata- Hide quoted text -

the automatic generators with transfer switch appear pretty quiet, but
ideally they arent placed right between 2 homes, but ratrher in the
back yard somewhere, exhaust not pointed at anyones home.

exercising at say mid day shouldnt be a problem with the right install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I researched quite a bit before I settled on the Kohler 12k. It's a very
nice unit, extremely reliable, and about as quiet as they get. I would buy
it again and it's the one I recommend to people.

Are you saying that there are no natural gas lines in the area, or that you
just don't have it run to your house? I didn't have natural gas and ran on
propane, but had NG run to my house just so I could run my generator.
You'll go through a 500 gallon tank of propane pretty quickly if there's an
extended outage. If you can't get NG, you might want to consider a bigger
tank than 500. Whatever the size, be prepared to ration your energy use; I
wouldn't count on reliable delivery of propane in the event of a major
disaster.

"boatdrinks" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I appreciate all of the information so far.

I agree with the sentiment regarding noise. I was thinking about the
generac quiet source line of generators. How loud is the Kohler at say
50% load? Does any one know much about the quiet source line of
generators from Generac?

My understanding on the NG is that in fact there are no lines where I
live, so we will basically have to go with a buried LP tank. We will
ration anyway, probably just running the AC during the hottest times
of the day etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 11:33 am, "boatdrinks" wrote:
I appreciate all of the information so far.

I agree with the sentiment regarding noise. I was thinking about the
generac quiet source line of generators. How loud is the Kohler at say
50% load? Does any one know much about the quiet source line of
generators from Generac?

My understanding on the NG is that in fact there are no lines where I
live, so we will basically have to go with a buried LP tank. We will
ration anyway, probably just running the AC during the hottest times
of the day etc.

Hi,

I live in NY state new NYC. I had ened up with a Cummins-Onan 20kw
generator. I have a 500 gallon LP tank which holds 400 gallon of LP
gas. Note you need a 20% buffer for expansion in the tank.

The unit is based on a Ford Ranger truck engine, is 2.4 Liters and
runs on Natural Gas. The unit is about a year old now, and newer
versions now have
a General motors engine. The unit is quiet because it runs at 1,800
rpm as opposed to 3,600 on units which are lawn mower air cooled
engines. It is
liquid cooled. The cost was $US 9000 from Costco with an Automatic
transfer switch. I think it has gone up in price a bit with the newer
version.

It also has a coolant and oil pan heater built in. Not that you would
really
need this feature in Florida. The switch is automatic in that in a
blackout you have to do nothing.

This is a heavy unit at about 1050 lbs and needs a concrete pad and
professional installation. It can power a 1.5 tonne central air unit,
well, fridge, washing machine etc.

So far so good.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Apr 9, 9:33 am, "boatdrinks" wrote:
I appreciate all of the information so far.

I agree with the sentiment regarding noise. I was thinking about the
generac quiet source line of generators. How loud is the Kohler at say
50% load? Does any one know much about the quiet source line of
generators from Generac?

My understanding on the NG is that in fact there are no lines where I
live, so we will basically have to go with a buried LP tank. We will
ration anyway, probably just running the AC during the hottest times
of the day etc.

Unless you can get some definitive data indicating that one type of
generator is more reliable than the other, I would change your
priority list to make noise the most important criteria. Based on the
information below, it looks like the Kohler wins, except maybe in the
exercise mode. If the exercise mode noise is more important to you
than the regular operating mode, though, I would call Kohler and ask
them what their figures are for the exercise mode.

Kohler 12RESL/12RESM1
65 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/pdfs/g4110.pdf
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/re...al_gas_lp.html

Guardian QuietSource (Liquid Cooled)
20KW
72 db(A) at 7m (62 db(A) exercise mode)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...uidCooled.aspx

Guardian QuietSource (Air Cooled)
16KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (59 db(A) exercise mode)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...ource16kW.aspx

Guardian
13KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pu...N7.10.13kW.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

65 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/pd...al_gas_lp.html

72 db(A) at 7m (62 db(A) exercise mode)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...QuietSource/Li...

71.5 db(A) at 7m (59 db(A) exercise mode)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...QuietSource/Qu...

Guardian
13KW
71.5 db(A) at 7m (exercise mode unknown)http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pu...N7.10.13kW.pdf

Check CAREFULLY the LP consumption per hour running both at full and
half load, now whats your longest anticipated outage? If your going to
have a generator then you should plan on having enough LP for at least
a week, since deliveries will be impaired, and you dont want to run
out when you need it the most Realize your neighbors will appreciate
a extension cord, if its only for some lights. Then the noise wouldnt
bother them.

I keep 6 20 pound LP tanks in my shed for a variety of uses they empty
fast. I think you will exhaust a 500 lb tank with say 400 pounds of
actual fuel fast.

I have a realtive living close to the beach, he has central air but
keeps a small window AC on hand for emergencies to minimize fuel needs
and generator size. Do check with on local ordinaces about LP storage.

Remember the LP the local company sells comes from a wholesaler by
truck or railroad, a bad huricane may interrupt deliveries to your
local dealer, and in a emergency everyone using LP will be looking to
top off their tanks Futhering the shortage........

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Apr 9, 1:03�pm, "mg" wrote:
[...]

If truly extended outages are expected and nat. gas service is not an
option or might be interrupted as in areas prone to earthquakes, the
most viable fuel will always be diesel. Diesel is very safe to store in
large quantities, has decent storage stability with proper treatment and
due to it's high energy density will give far more run time per volume
of fuel storage space than LP.

As an example, a 300 gal diesel tank as typically used for home furnaces
in the northeast will provide on the order of two weeks (more like 16
days) or continuous run time, that same run time would require a truly
huge LP tank. Deliveries of diesel fuel also typically recover much
faster after a disaster than deliveries of LP.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:03�pm, "mg" wrote:
[...]

My fire stations 80 KVA propane fueled generator ran for four days
before going through the first 300 gallons of propane. It is admittedly
rather lightly loaded.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas Horne wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:03�pm, "mg" wrote:
[...]

300 gal LP would be something like 1,200# I think. The OPs hypothetical
500# tank would be about 120 gal. With a smaller home type generator
under typical home loading he might get 2 days operation at best from
the 500# tank.

Pete C.