Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In Wall Light Switch Timer?

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 8:48 pm, "Edward" wrote:
I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Hi Edward,

You can get decora style timers that can be installed in a standard
box, you would need to replace the remaining switches to match. DO a
google search for LEVITON DECORA TIMER or check out -----
http://www.onestopbuy.com/Electronic-Timers-13079.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward - there are several of these in many ghardware stores to choose from,
but here are a few tips: 1) Make sure tat the one you choose says it has a
built-in battery back-up since your location isn't used every day, and
noboduy will be there to reset it during power outages. and 2) Newer ones
will say that they work with flourescent lights, - a good choice for lights
that will be on a lot of the year.

Kevin

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Here is a link to an Intermatic EJ 351C in wall timer. It will replace the
existing switch, standard toggle or decora style. They're sold at HD and
electrical supply stores:
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...51c&svbname=16

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward wrote:
I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

There are lots of timers out there and I am sure you can find one to do
what you want. However you are not very clear what you want it to do. Do
you want it to turn on the circuit at a given time and then off again later
in the day or do you want to be able to turn it on and have the timer turn
it off after a set amount of time. How about random on-off times so the
home looks lived in?

You might want to take a look at www.smarthome.com for ideas. Most of
the products they show are available locally as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:07 am, "Kevin Hastings"
wrote:
Edward - there are several of these in many ghardware stores to choose from,
but here are a few tips: 1) Make sure tat the one you choose says it has a
built-in battery back-up since your location isn't used every day, and
noboduy will be there to reset it during power outages. and 2) Newer ones
will say that they work with flourescent lights, - a good choice for lights
that will be on a lot of the year.

Kevin

"Edward" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm glad you brought that up.
It is a street light, and I stuck one of those flourscent replacement
bulbs in there so it lasts longer - it is a major pain in the ass to
replace, so I wanted to put something in there that would last longer.
I think you answered, but I want to clarify, would I need a special
timer to accommodate that flourscent bulb?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Apr 2007 20:48:18 -0700, "Edward"
wrote:

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

There are lots of timers out there, and most are designed so that they
can use the standard wall plate with the little rectangular hole that
your toggle switches have. Most goes underneath the swtich plate, and
the outer layer goes on top. You'll have to decide if they clash
stylistically with the wood grain finish of your switch plate.

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin Hastings wrote:

Edward - there are several of these in many ghardware stores to choose from,
but here are a few tips: 1) Make sure tat the one you choose says it has a
built-in battery back-up since your location isn't used every day, and
noboduy will be there to reset it during power outages. and 2) Newer ones
will say that they work with flourescent lights, - a good choice for lights
that will be on a lot of the year.

Kevin

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

Both Intermatic and Liviton make suitable devices, BUT all I've seen
are the "Decora" style panels. Yo'll probably have t hange out each
switch and the wall plat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:07 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Here is a link to an Intermatic EJ 351C in wall timer. It will replace the
existing switch, standard toggle or decora style. They're sold at HD and
electrical supply stores:http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...E3836383A357F3...

"Edward" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mediumqf4.jpg- Hide quoted text -

I bought an Intermatic EJ500CL and it says do not use with compact
fluorscant lights...

OOPS.

Thats what I have in the light. Is this really a big deal, and do
they make timers for compact fluorscent lamps?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

They're pretty emphatic about no fluorescent lamps. The 351C can be used
with class P fluorescent ballasts, though

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 4, 7:07 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Here is a link to an Intermatic EJ 351C in wall timer. It will replace
the
existing switch, standard toggle or decora style. They're sold at HD and
electrical supply
stores:http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...E3836383A357F3...

"Edward" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mediumqf4.jpg- Hide
quoted text -

I bought an Intermatic EJ500CL and it says do not use with compact
fluorscant lights...

OOPS.

Thats what I have in the light. Is this really a big deal, and do
they make timers for compact fluorscent lamps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

I believe if you go with a 'system' like x10 you can get switches that
fitt into that faceplate, and then you can add more lights to your
system later.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

I believe if you go with a 'system' like x10 you can get switches that
fitt into that faceplate, and then you can add more lights to your
system later.

X10 can be a good idea, but it IS susceptible to interference. You may
wish you hadn't used it.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mediumqf4.jpg

I believe if you go with a 'system' like x10 you can get switches that
fitt into that faceplate, and then you can add more lights to your
system later.

X10 can be a good idea, but it IS susceptible to interference. You may
wish you hadn't used it.

Nobody else said it, so I will- if they can afford a place at the shore,
they apparently have at least a few bucks, even if the shore place is just a
trailer/cabin/tiny condo. So that means the familial home is probably a
pretty good burglar target. Good neighborhood, with good neighbors close by
and dogs that sleep outside? If not, they may want to seriously think about
a monitored security system. Be a damn shame to come home from the beach to
an empty house and front door flapping in the breeze.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm in North America and I was wodering if there is a light switch
timer. My parents just bought a place at the shore and will be
spending a week or two there every other month during the Summer.
Since I (the youngest son) finally left the nest, there's nobody there
to watch the house.
Is there an in wall timer for a multi switch panel?

There are lots of timers out there, and most are designed so that they
can use the standard wall plate with the little rectangular hole that
your toggle switches have. Most goes underneath the swtich plate, and
the outer layer goes on top. You'll have to decide if they clash
stylistically with the wood grain finish of your switch plate.

Here is a picture of the switch panel witht he one I want to time
circled.

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mediumqf4.jpg- Hide quoted text -

True, nut none will allow one of those compact flourscent lights to be
used.

WTB: Timer Light Switch vortex2 UK diy 1 August 1st 06 01:39 PM
Timer for Light Switch?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 17th 06 05:05 AM
Timer to replace two way light switch David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 September 27th 05 09:06 PM
Timer switch for double switch wall plate [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 19th 05 08:42 PM
Light switch with built-in timer? Al Reynolds UK diy 20 December 8th 04 01:02 PM