Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE "hidden" vent Microwave model JVM1870BF07 question

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so if
I'm too far off topic, please let me know where I should post.
I have a GE microwave, model number JVM1870BF07, which I am trying to
convert to recirculation mode for the vent fan.
I've figured out how to rotate the fan motors, but am having trouble
figuring out how to install the charcoal filter that apparently is
required.
The only examples I can find show a standard grille above the door,
but mine has what they describe as a "hidden" vent. It is basically a
door that is opened any time the fan runs. I can see the two screws
that need to be removed (according to the GE website), but after they
are removed, the hidden grille assembly does not appear to want to
come off to allow for installation of the charcoal filter.
Is there a trick to getting this assembly off, or am I doomed to get a
GE repairman to come out and charge an arm and a leg to do something
that seems simple??
Any help/hints will be greatly appreciated
Dale

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so if
I'm too far off topic, please let me know where I should post.
I have a GE microwave, model number JVM1870BF07, which I am trying to
convert to recirculation mode for the vent fan.

GE's web site has installation instructions.

http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...nt/Dispatcher?
REQUEST=SKUOBJECTS&DOCUMENT=Installation%20Instruc tions&SKU=JVM1870BF

The filter goes behind the grill that over the oven's door. A #1 or #2
Phillips screw driver is need to install it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred,
Thanks for the link, but that shows the same instructions that came
with the microwave.

Those instructions are helpful if you have the standard vent grille,
but mine has the "hidden vent" system which does not have a grille but
rather a "door" that opens to allow the air to flow up. The "door" is
spring loaded and has a powered cam assembly which opens the door
anytime the fan is running. Although mine has the two screws that the
instructions talk about, removing them does not permit the "door"
assembly to pull off or slide off as the instructions imply. I can
see where the charcoal filter will fit once I get the "door" assembly
out of the way, but so far I haven't been able to determine if there
may be another screw or two that have to come off first or if I simple
need to "pull harder". However, I don't want to "yank" the thing off
unless that is the only way to do it.

Dale

On Apr 6, 11:20 pm, Fred P wrote:
In article . com,
says...

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so if
I'm too far off topic, please let me know where I should post.
I have a GE microwave, model number JVM1870BF07, which I am trying to
convert to recirculation mode for the vent fan.

GE's web site has installation instructions.

http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...nt/Dispatcher?
REQUEST=SKUOBJECTS&DOCUMENT=Installation%20Instruc tions&SKU=JVM1870BF

The filter goes behind the grill that over the oven's door. A #1 or #2
Phillips screw driver is need to install it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

UPDATE!
I finally figured it out! The instructions, although apparently for
the "grille" type worked basically the same for the "hidden vent" type
except that after removign the two screws and sliding the "assembly"
to the left, the trick was simply to "wiggle" the thing loose. it
appears that the top plate is a bit too flexible and hangs the
assembly when you try to remove it. Simply pulling up on the sheet
metal along the top frees up the "assembly". Now I just have to hang
the unit under the cabinet.
Thanks for the help.

On Apr 7, 5:53 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

On Apr 6, 11:20 pm, Fred P wrote:

In article . com,
says...

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so if
I'm too far off topic, please let me know where I should post.
I have a GE microwave, model number JVM1870BF07, which I am trying to
convert to recirculation mode for the vent fan.

GE's web site has installation instructions.

http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...nt/Dispatcher?
REQUEST=SKUOBJECTS&DOCUMENT=Installation%20Instruc tions&SKU=JVM1870BF

The filter goes behind the grill that over the oven's door. A #1 or #2
Phillips screw driver is need to install it.- Hide quoted text -