Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hold my hand, my dryer squeaks

Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but
few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it
spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing
some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was
maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went
three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it
resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool,
they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is
coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and
replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Google "dryer squeaks"
..
or go here http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYindex.htm
..
Write to Dave. He will sell you what you need. I've fixed both a washer
(direct-drive coupler) and a dryer (new rollers, belt etc) within the last
couple of months.
..
Straight-forward job if you google the installation instructions.

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but
few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it
spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing
some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was
maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went
three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it
resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool,
they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is
coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and
replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It probably is the rollers. I have replace them on my Maytag dryer of about
the same age. The rollers are held on my a snap ring. For me the hard part
was gettting the dryer drum belt back on after putting everything together
again. It has to go around the motor and idler wheel and around the drum. If
you do decide to try it yourself try to take some pictures of the belt
install before removing it. The beld does NOT go in the groove around the
drum though that grove may help when you first try to get the belt back on.

Steve

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to...r-a-dryer3.htm

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but
few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it
spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing
some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was
maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went
three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it
resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool,
they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is
coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and
replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You take it apart, the only thing that can squeak is the rollers or the belt
tensioner. It can be apart, lubed with hi-temp brake caliper grease, and
put back together in 15 minutes.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but
few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it
spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing
some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was
maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went
three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it
resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool,
they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is
coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and
replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:11:00 -0400, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but
few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it
spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing
some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was
maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went
three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it
resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool,
they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is
coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and
replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.

My dryer doesn't have rollers. It has felt pads the drum rests on.
I'd think a very small amount of silicone spray on the drum where the
pads are would work for me. For you guys with rollers, I suggest you
find a lubriplate or silicone grease that has staying power.