problem with Payne Plus 90 furnace

Old April 1st 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default problem with Payne Plus 90 furnace

Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from
a short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not
working. When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the
draft inducer motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The
furnace came with the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I
read online, it is supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient
furnace. Given its age (at least 13 years), is it better to repair or
replace it? I suppose it is dependent upon how serious and costly the
repair would be. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Mike

Old April 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"tenplay" wrote in message
Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from a
short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not working.
When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the draft inducer
motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The furnace came with
the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I read online, it is
supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient furnace. Given its age
(at least 13 years), is it better to repair or replace it? I suppose it
is dependent upon how serious and costly the repair would be. Thanks for
any advice/suggestions. Mike

How can you make that decision until you know what is wrong?
It could be a $100 fix that would keeo it going for years.

Bob

Old April 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from
a short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not
working. When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the
draft inducer motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The
furnace came with the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I
read online, it is supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient
furnace. Given its age (at least 13 years), is it better to repair or
replace it? I suppose it is dependent upon how serious and costly the
repair would be. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Mike

Need to find out what is wrong with it first, probably just an igniter.
Old April 3rd 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

Default problem with Payne Plus 90 furnace - SOLUTION

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
tenplay wrote:
Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from
a short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not
working. When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the
draft inducer motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The
furnace came with the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I
read online, it is supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient
furnace. Given its age (at least 13 years), is it better to repair or
replace it? I suppose it is dependent upon how serious and costly the
repair would be. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Mike

I had the local gas company come out and look at the furnace. What a
surprise! It turns out that a bird flew down the air intake pipe and
lodged itself in the draft inducer motor and burned it out. The PSE
repairman said that he had seen that only twice before in his 16 years
on the job. Cost us $341. Guess that beats buying a new furnace
although this one's built in 1990. We hope it continues to work well
until we sell our house in a couple of years.

I put chicken wire over both the inlet & outlet after seeing some evidence
of critter curiosity.
MLD

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Pain furnace, er I mean Payne [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 26th 07 09:13 PM
Payne Furnace Leaks water??? Alot of water... scale Home Repair 4 May 15th 06 10:07 PM
Payne Furnace LED Code indicator? scale Home Repair 4 November 27th 05 10:26 PM
Carrier and Payne HVAC ? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 20th 05 04:38 AM