Concrete labor costs in your area

Old March 30th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Concrete labor costs in your area

What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

Old March 30th 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

Funny timing. I just got quoted today for a 17' x 25' x 6" seven bag mix
pad with rebar in front of my main shipping door. They are also going to
grade the area of the parking lot to the street 100'x100' and place 30 ton
of stone. The pad will have a steel grated trench drain in front of the
door tied into a basin. The parking lot in that area is 2' higher than the
shop floor and we have had water in the shop. They will also take care of
the 18" foundation of an old out building in the way. All this for $5,300!
I thought it would be twice that.

That doesn't answer your question...I'm just thrilled with the job getting
done.

Old March 30th 07, 12:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Give or take, $3.50 / SF for labor, steel, and concrete. I don't
keep a separate labor only number. This would be for minimum
steel, little dirt work.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Old March 30th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement? The
good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.
-----

- gpsman

Old March 30th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

The crew can probably get the concrete cheaper than you can. Are you
planning to order in a RediMix truck, or mix your own?

If you are doing a slab, you probably dont' have the capacity to do a
full mix so you will have several small batches. This will lead to
inconsistency in each batch and issues in the quality of your slab.
If you are ordering a truck, the crew can probably negotiate a cheaper
price than you can. The concrete company will probably already have a
wholesale price with them. You are going to get the high(er) price
because you are not a steady customer.

With that said, the cost for a crew is going to vary widely depending
on what you want. Are you looking at a slab on grade floor, or a
footing, or ?

Footings for my 48x40 shop cost me $500 turnkey. 6" finished floor
for the same was around $1000 labor and around $1500 concrete.
Letting them order the concrete instead of me, saved me $10/yd. Saved
me about $250.

This was a 4 years ago. Concrete has gone up about $30/yd since
then. Labor has probably gone up some too. I had some concrete work
done 2 years ago. I can't say exactly what the labor for the concrete
was, but it was $2500 to move a 30' grain bin and pour the pad for
it. Breaking it strikely on a per hour labor rate I would say pouring
the slab cost me about $750 labor.

Old March 30th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

That's really funny. I've been getting ready to get some bids for the front
of my shop. It will be just like yours except for the drain. Right down to
the old foundation in the way and sloping the grade.

Old March 30th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the

concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

Good luck with that.

Besides, most large concrete layers get a discount that the OP probably
can't get.

Old March 30th 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to get it
for a reasonable cost.

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Were you born negative, or did this come to you later in life?

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement?

There is such a building boom in my county (second fastest growing in the
United States) that it is difficult to get ANYONE to come and even bid work,
let alone do the work.

The
good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

My source is local networking. Friends and family I have in the area. Dan
G hit it on the head with the $3.50 sf cost, but I wanted to hear what
others had to say. I DO know enough about it to look at a slab and tell if
it's done right.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

I don't "sweat" any more. I will be having angioplasty and stent work
within two weeks, and have had a five way (ala David Letterman) bypass and
aortic valve replaced. I do, however, shop things, and have the money to
hire the work done. BUT, I don't just call and pay whatever the guy says.

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.

Like I said, I'll hire good people, watch the work, get a good slab, and
won't pay a lot of extra profit.

Same things with guys pouring driveways and flatwork. You can hire a
contractor and pay what they want, or you can get a crew, buy the concrete,
put on some barbecue and ice some beer, and save a lot.

Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell you.

- gpsman

Old March 30th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

When Responding to:

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor...

Be aware that most ready-mix companies have a caveat in their delivery
contract (which you sign when you receive the material) that it is mixed to
your specifications already, and adding _any_ water for ease of placement
voids their compressive strength warrantees.

My dad was of the generation where politically-correct language wasn't an
issue. He said to me over and over again (about concrete), "4-inch slump -
not a bit less - and whip your N****rs!!!"

That translates roughly to, "You cannot _pour_ a good slab or foundation, it
must be _placed_."

LLoyd

Old March 31st 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 1:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"gpsman" wrote

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to get it
for a reasonable cost.

Then get several bids.

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Were you born negative, or did this come to you later in life?

I started working on construction sites when I was 7, as a (pretty
****ty) hod carrier. That's when it was first pointed out to me how
much can go wrong with a simple job, sometimes a couple years later.

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement?

There is such a building boom in my county (second fastest growing in the
United States) that it is difficult to get ANYONE to come and even bid work,
let alone do the work.

Then you're going to have your work cut out for you finding a
contractor.

good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

My source is local networking. Friends and family I have in the area. Dan
G hit it on the head with the $3.50 sf cost, but I wanted to hear what
others had to say. I DO know enough about it to look at a slab and tell if
it's done right.

Congratulations, you're the only one on the planet with that skill.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

I do, however, shop things, and have the money to
hire the work done. BUT, I don't just call and pay whatever the guy says.

Sometimes that's the only option. I took advantage of it when I was
the best in my business in my locale. Here's my number. Like it;
fine. Don't like it; that's fine too. Find somebody else, if you
can. But don't call me back, I lost money giving you your bid.

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.

Like I said, I'll hire good people, watch the work, get a good slab, and
won't pay a lot of extra profit.

Same things with guys pouring driveways and flatwork. You can hire a
contractor and pay what they want, or you can get a crew, buy the concrete,
put on some barbecue and ice some beer, and save a lot.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge and experience to not be jacking
me off with your original ****ing question...

Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell you.

Oops, I spoke too soon. There's a lot more to it than meets the
inexperienced eye. Check your nearest concrete road/bridge/driveway/
(newer) sidewalk-parking lot/ for confirmation of that. Any idiot can
form a good looking slab. Will it last? These days, not much longer
than it takes your check to clear.

A great many "contractors" are going to school on the money of the
ignorant. I've seen many $5-20M homes built like ****, and most new
homes in the $200-1M range could have been built better by a class of
6th graders, for a lot less money.
-----

- gpsman