Buffer for cleaning showers?

Old March 29th 07, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Default Buffer for cleaning showers?

I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to use
it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is not
powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use. We
once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's Friend to
clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less than an hour. It
would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

Old March 29th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Try the buffer, but consider using some wet baking soda as a compound. That
shouldn't scratch.

As far as a wireless bugger goes it would probably be better to stick to one
with a cord. Of course it is probably easier to towel down the shower after
each use and avoid the problem.

I have had good luck with stubborn bathroom stains by soaking an old towel
in bleach and water and letting that sit over the stain.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Old March 29th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 3:06 pm, "TC" wrote:
I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to use
it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is not
powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use. We
once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's Friend to
clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less than an hour. It
would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

--

Whatever, but after you get your shower clean, start using the shower
sprays - just a spritz after each shower. Makes a big difference.

Old March 29th 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Frank wrote:

On Mar 29, 3:06 pm, "TC" wrote:
I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to
use it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is
not powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use.
We once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's
Friend to clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less
than an hour. It would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

--

Whatever, but after you get your shower clean, start using the shower
sprays - just a spritz after each shower. Makes a big difference.
Frank

These are rental units.

Old March 30th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

the soap scum removers work GREAT, the mold mildew ones are basically
bleach.

I start with soap scum remover and a scotchbrite pad, followed by
bleach.

I see no reason for power equiptement, its tough on grout, and
probably roughens the tile making future cleaning harder

Old March 30th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"TC" wrote in message
I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to use
it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is not
powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use. We
once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's Friend to
clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less than an hour. It
would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

--

Stop by an autobody supply house and buy a quart of "acryliclean" from any
manufacturer (Ditzler, Sherwin William, Dupont). Ventilate the room, wipe

Bill

Old March 30th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Berkshire Bill" wrote

Stop by an autobody supply house and buy a quart of "acryliclean" from
any manufacturer (Ditzler, Sherwin William, Dupont). Ventilate the room,
wipe down the walls with a clean saturated towel and follow with your
buffing bonnet. You'll be amazed at the results.

While we're on the subject of cleaning and shining, does anyone
know of a way to put a high shine back on Formica countertops?
The latest auto spray wax I tried didn't work.

nancy

Old March 30th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Mar 2007 16:02:33 -0700, "
wrote:

the soap scum removers work GREAT,

You mean something like Dow? Scrubbing Bubbles? I think so.

That's what I use and it does work fine. Let it sit for a bit, maybe
while spraying the rest. This is the only time I use my bathroom fan.

If you let it sit too long, it dries, but even then the dirt is freed
up. One just needs a little more water on the sponge or whatever to
get the dirt moving when it is dry.

I've used this on a metal/enamel tub, and the plastic? tiles that
surround it.

Old March 31st 07, 11:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Mar 2007 20:06:06 GMT, "TC" wrote:

I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to use
it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is not
powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use. We
once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's Friend to
clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less than an hour. It
would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

Abrasives will leave scratches on most materials which will result in
harder-to-clean surfaces. Use a tub-and-tile cleaner spray cleaner,
CLR, or Lime-Away. Or, you can wet paper towels using vinegar in a
spray bottle--allow the wet towels to remain on the surface for
several hours. Use a nylon brush, never anything that can scratch.
Same is true for toilets, sinks, or other fixtures. You can keep
showers looking clean between cleanings (and make the cleanings
easier) by using a daily shower cleaner spray after the last shower of
the day. Or, dry/buff all surfaces with a towel--a 1 minute daily
task.
Old March 31st 07, 12:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
I have a hand-held buffer that my wife fancies. She would like to use
it to clean very dirty shower/bath tiles. I think my buffer is not
powerful enough for what she needs and may turn a bit too slow.

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestings for something she can use. We
once used a grinder with a buffing pad and some Barkeeper's Friend to
clean a very scummy shower (walls and bottom) in less than an hour. It
would have taken several hours by hand.

Something held-held and wireless would be best. Suggestions?

The tile on floor of our shower seems to have lost some glaze, if that
is possible; 'bout 40 y/o. Dirt sticks. If the tile is loaded with soap
scum, start with a new razor blade scraper...mine is worst on tiles
below the soap dish in the wall. It is easier to feel it than to see it
on our tile. CLR is great for lime deposits and scum; use brush with
stiff bristles. Rinse and finish up with bleach and water brushed on
and rinse for mildew on grout. If you have grout loaded with mildew, it
might need repair. I tried a new spray cleaner that works very well ..
forget the name of it, it's in the master bath and hubby still sleeping.
Will check later )