Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is a 2 tank compressor better than a 1 tank compressor?

I'm looking at buying a Sears #00916636000 Mfr. model #16636 (one 5
gal tank) or #00916638000 Mfr. model #16638 (two 2 gal tanks)--
wondering which would be better.

Will using around the home for home projects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for responses--will be at Sears tomorrow and will have a new
compressor for around the house...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 25, 6:11 pm, wrote:
Thanks for responses--will be at Sears tomorrow and will have a new
compressor for around the house...

Before you make a major mistake, check Amazon.com for real compresors
that pros use. There are some fine machines there that will give you
years of service. You almost never see any Craftsman stuff on job
sites. A major problem with Craftsman is the astonishing prices on
repair parts when something wears out. FWIW, I use a Hitachi EC 12 2
HP for odd jobs around the place. It drives nailers just fine, but is
a bit small for some air hungry air tools like a disk sander. While
you're at it, shop the box stores, too. Buy the most CFM @ 90 PSI that
you can afford. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 4:54 pm, wrote:
I'm looking at buying a Sears #00916636000 Mfr. model #16636 (one 5
gal tank) or #00916638000 Mfr. model #16638 (two 2 gal tanks)--
wondering which would be better.

Will using around the home for home projects.

I reccomend this site for compressors.

http://www.northerntool.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:11 pm, wrote:
Thanks for responses--will be at Sears tomorrow and will have a new
compressor for around the house...

Before you make a major mistake, check Amazon.com for real compresors
that pros use. There are some fine machines there that will give you
years of service. You almost never see any Craftsman stuff on job
sites. A major problem with Craftsman is the astonishing prices on
repair parts when something wears out. FWIW, I use a Hitachi EC 12 2
HP for odd jobs around the place. It drives nailers just fine, but is
a bit small for some air hungry air tools like a disk sander. While
you're at it, shop the box stores, too. Buy the most CFM @ 90 PSI that
you can afford. HTH

If you need professional equipment, pay for professional equipment, like
Ingersoll-Rand. If you need air to fill tires and do occasional chores,
like run a sprayer from time to time, clean things, or winterize the pool
once a year, a Sears machine should be plenty adequate. I don't know many
job sites that would use an electric compressor, anyway. The Sears
compressors are OEM'd from well known manufacturers.

One thing I like about Sears is their warranty parts/service is excellent
to deal with. After the warranty is over, remember you don't need to use
Sears parts. Sometimes they are more expensive, sometimes they are not,
but their search capabilities are impressive. I always check to see who
the OEM is and you can often get parts through their channels. Sears
nearly always provides parts lists and they use the OEM parts numbers,
even if they don't tell you who the OEM is. With a reference chart, you
can always find it by using the model number prefix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 10:40 pm, Pat Coghlan wrote:
Greg wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking at buying a Sears #00916636000 Mfr. model #16636 (one 5
gal tank) or #00916638000 Mfr. model #16638 (two 2 gal tanks)--
wondering which would be better.

Will using around the home for home projects.

I would go with the one 5 gallon tank.

Advantages:
One tank to drain water from, not two

Do I have to drain a compressor often if I just keep it charged up in
the garage for bike tires etc. and the occasional use of brad nailers etc.?

Less weight
More capacity
On sale!

Disadvantages:
Requires slightly more space to store

The motor size and specs of both units appear otherwise equal.- Hide quoted text -

You should drain the tank after every use. If water is left to
accumulate it will eventually eat through the bottom of the tank. I
have also read recommendations to set the pressure regulator down to
zero. This relieves the tension on the diaphragm.
Joe G