Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remving Dried Elmers Glue from Carpet

My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 21, 10:49 am, "motherof2" wrote:
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Call the glue manufacturer's customer service. Odds are they've
answered this question many times. The same query has porbably popped
up at your dry cleaners, too, so give them a call as well. The most
important thing you need to do before you call is to find exactly waht
kind of carpet you have, Nylon. Herculon, etc., etc.That will
determine the best means of attacking the globs. Don't be too hard on
the kid. When he's a teenager it gets worse. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"motherof2" wrote in message
ups.com...
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Regular Elmers will come off in the laundry, so I would expect warm soapy water and a shop
vac will work on carpet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"motherof2" wrote in message
ups.com...
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Do what the other Joe said. And, just to be sure after you call the
manufacturer, you could put some glue on a piece of scrap cloth, let it dry,
and then try the gentlest cleaner you have on hand to see if it works. Old
Indian trick: Whatever shampoo you use on the kid's hair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

motherof2 wrote:
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

You can crush up the dried glue clumps with a pair of pliers to get most
of it out of the fibers. Soak what's left with some carpet cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 21 Mar 2007 08:57:18 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

On Mar 21, 10:49 am, "motherof2" wrote:
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Call the glue manufacturer's customer service. Odds are they've
answered this question many times. The same query has porbably popped
up at your dry cleaners, too, so give them a call as well. The most

Unrelated to this, but I had some clothes that the dry cleaner
couldn't get clean. Sweat stains I guess. i had them cleaned twice,
but no good. Then I washed them in the machine and they came out
clean, just needed ironing. Unfortunately washing them was an
afterthought after I cut off all the buttons and did more, so I didn't
get to use them again.

important thing you need to do before you call is to find exactly waht
kind of carpet you have, Nylon. Herculon, etc., etc.That will
determine the best means of attacking the globs. Don't be too hard on
the kid. When he's a teenager it gets worse. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Mar 2007 08:49:11 -0700, "motherof2" wrote:

My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

You might snoop around this site. I've used the #2 product to get red
makers off doors and walls and it works.

http://www.liftoffinc.com

Lift Off #2 Adhesives, Grease & Oily Stains Tape Remover was developed
to remove the second most common type of stains: those which have a
natural oil, petroleum or solvent-based nature such as tapes,
adhesives, chewing gum, grease, tar, crayons, motor oil, salad
dressing, and lipstick. Lift Off #2 works safely on all types of hard
surfaces including glass, Formica, linoleum, tile, metals, and wood,
and best of all, it evaporates 100%, so it won't leave any marks or
residue. Recognized by Popular Science as the Best New Formulation of
the Year, Lift Off #2 is the same formulation in both an aerosol and
non-aerosol versions. Let Lift Off #2 get you out of your sticky
situations!

..
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

The *white* Elmer's glue is water soluble when dry. Blot with sponge
dampened with warm water, and follow by blotting with a clean towel.

If it was the brown Elmer's glue I don't think that trick will work.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"motherof2" wrote in message
ups.com...
My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Mar 2007 08:49:11 -0700, "motherof2" wrote:

My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall
carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find
a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already
dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the
areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a
magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

imho:

I have had luck with such items, like play-doh, paste, etc doing this.

1. Chip as much way as possible without hurting anything.

2. Soften it up with a damp cloth, for a while. Not too long, I'm
affraid of mold and mildew.

3. Carpet cleaning machine, over and over.

I can get most stains down to very unnoticable with spot cleaning, and
then when I do regular rug cleaning I can get about invisible. It
seems to work for me, but no clue if it will work for you.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com