how to drain and refill heating system?

Old March 20th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to drain and refill heating system?

I have an oil fired burner with forced hot water, two zones, I want to drain
one zone to modify a radiator (shorten it) and then refill the system.
Would this be difficult? should I get the furnace company out to do it.
I would prefer to do it myself as it will be difficult to coordinate if I
have to get the oil company out to do the service...

While not an expert, I feel comfortable changing the plumbing. The radiator
I want to shorten actually has an area where there are no fins right where I
want to cut it. It looks like it was made to be cut there?
A couple of elbows and 10" of 3/4" copper and I'll have the radiator
modified...

Draining and refilling the system is where I need help.
I have a call in to the furnace co. to see if someone can meet me and show
me how to do it??
Again, coordinating to meet them is a problem.

I'm hoping this procedure is simple and I can do it myself.

Thanks for any help

Steve

Old March 20th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
et...
I have an oil fired burner with forced hot water, two zones, I want to
drain
one zone to modify a radiator (shorten it) and then refill the system.
Would this be difficult? should I get the furnace company out to do it.
I would prefer to do it myself as it will be difficult to coordinate if I
have to get the oil company out to do the service...

I'm hoping this procedure is simple and I can do it myself.

Can you open and close valves? Turn the boiler switch off. Close the feed
to the system. Find the drain valve, usually on the return line of the loop
and drain the water. Do your work, close the drain, open the fill. Once it
stops running, you'll have to turn the heater on, run the system and crack
open the drain valve to vent some of the air.

Old March 20th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Can you open and close valves? Turn the boiler switch off. Close the

feed
to the system. Find the drain valve, usually on the return line of the

loop
and drain the water. Do your work, close the drain, open the fill. Once

it
stops running, you'll have to turn the heater on, run the system and crack
open the drain valve to vent some of the air.

I'll do a search on opening and closing valves.... (just kidding)
I would think its as simple as you say but I've never done it and I'm
covering my bases.
Still a little cold to have no heat if I run into a problem getting things
back up and running.

The furnace is in a crawl space so I don't see it that often.. I'll crawl in
and hopefully the correct valves will be apparent.

Thanks

Steve

Old March 20th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message

I'll do a search on opening and closing valves.... (just kidding)

Just remember, Lefty loosey, Righty tighty.
Lefty loosey, Righty tighty
Lefty loosey, Righty tighty
Lefty loosey, Righty tighty
Lefty loosey, Righty tighty