How Long to Tape / Mud / Sand Drywall ?

Old March 19th 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Long to Tape / Mud / Sand Drywall ?

I finished about 1400 sq. ft. of my basement with about 46 4x8 sheets
of drywall. All the sheets are standing up so the tapered ends are
butted together. Each seam is about 7 feet long. There are 9 inside
90-degree corners, 5 outside 90-degree corners and two approximately
120-degree inside corners.

I'm going to be looking for someone put on the outside corner metals &
tape/mud/sand. For the typical contractor, is this a job that can be
completed in a weekend? I know it will depend on the crew size but
I'm not sure what a crew of any size can get done in a day.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old March 19th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I finished about 1400 sq. ft. of my basement with about 46 4x8 sheets
of drywall. All the sheets are standing up so the tapered ends are
butted together. Each seam is about 7 feet long. There are 9 inside
90-degree corners, 5 outside 90-degree corners and two approximately
120-degree inside corners.

I'm going to be looking for someone put on the outside corner metals &
tape/mud/sand. For the typical contractor, is this a job that can be
completed in a weekend? I know it will depend on the crew size but
I'm not sure what a crew of any size can get done in a day.

Thanks,
Kevin

I couldn't tell you how many man-hours is needed to do this job, but it is
not likely it can be finished in two days because of the drying time.
Usually the first coat of joint compound dries faster than the next two
coats. At a minimum I think 3 days would be required because of that.

Old March 20th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Typical quality requires 3 coats. 12 hours dry time each coat.
Setting compound can be used on the first coat. Most finishers I
know would have zero interest in a weekend job.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Drywall finishers work on weekends in OP's area?"

If they want the job they do. :-)

Old March 20th 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
Typical quality requires 3 coats. 12 hours dry time each coat.
Setting compound can be used on the first coat. Most finishers I
know would have zero interest in a weekend job.

Area differences I suppose. There are plenty of hungry guys around
here that work weekends. I've also used union guys. A few buddies
would show up bright and early each weekend morning, knock the living
crap out of the taping and spackling and knock off around 1 PM. They
were "moonlighting" on the weekends and that was their only free time.

Old March 21st 07, 09:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair
3G

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
| DanG wrote:
| Typical quality requires 3 coats. 12 hours dry time each coat.
| Setting compound can be used on the first coat. Most finishers I
| know would have zero interest in a weekend job.
|
| Area differences I suppose. There are plenty of hungry guys around
| here that work weekends. I've also used union guys. A few buddies
| would show up bright and early each weekend morning, knock the living
| crap out of the taping and spackling and knock off around 1 PM. They
| were "moonlighting" on the weekends and that was their only free time.

union guys moon lighting
isn't that against union policy?
where are the dues?

Old March 21st 07, 09:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
3G

" wrote in message
ups.com...
|I finished about 1400 sq. ft. of my basement with about 46 4x8 sheets
| of drywall. All the sheets are standing up so the tapered ends are
| butted together. Each seam is about 7 feet long. There are 9 inside
| 90-degree corners, 5 outside 90-degree corners and two approximately
| 120-degree inside corners.

drywall (not moisture resistant) in the basement?
green board (moisture resistant) is better.

blueboard with plaster would have been the best choice and could have
been completed in a few hours.

| I'm going to be looking for someone put on the outside corner metals &
| tape/mud/sand. For the typical contractor, is this a job that can be
| completed in a weekend? I know it will depend on the crew size but
| I'm not sure what a crew of any size can get done in a day.
|
| Thanks,
| Kevin

not enough drying time to finish in 1 weekend unless they work all
night.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Got my first quote today. $750 to tape/mud/sand all the joints and
corners. The installer said it would take about 3 days to complete.
One full day to get the first coat on everything and get the corners.
Two more days at about 2-3 hours per day to put the rest of the coats
on and finish it. Sounds reasonable to me.

I guess I'll be comparing to my other quotes when I get them in about
a week. But, how does the initial $750 sound for about 1150 square
feet? High, low, or average?

Thanks,
Kevin