DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Evaporative cooler question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/195418-evaporative-cooler-question.html)

Ken Knecht March 18th 07 03:42 PM

Evaporative cooler question

I put a new two-speed blower motor in my evaporative cooler yesterday.
The motor makes a pretty loud buzzing/humming noise. It does it with belt
off so it's the motor, not the blower. It's not the water pump. Checked
current draw with clamp-on meter and it's slightly (0.1 A or so) below or
equal to rated current marked on motor with the belt on. It's louder on
low speed - maybe because blower is quieter?). Other than the noise it
seems to work ok. I ran it for about 9 hours yesterday at low speed
(which I normally use) with no problems.

Just ignore the noise? I can live with it if it isn't trying to tell me
it's in trouble.

TIA.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Lawrence March 18th 07 04:01 PM

On Mar 18, 9:42 am, Ken Knecht wrote:
I put a new two-speed blower motor in my evaporative cooler yesterday.
The motor makes a pretty loud buzzing/humming noise. It does it with belt
off so it's the motor, not the blower. It's not the water pump. Checked
current draw with clamp-on meter and it's slightly (0.1 A or so) below or
equal to rated current marked on motor with the belt on. It's louder on
low speed - maybe because blower is quieter?). Other than the noise it
seems to work ok. I ran it for about 9 hours yesterday at low speed
(which I normally use) with no problems.

Just ignore the noise? I can live with it if it isn't trying to tell me
it's in trouble.

Any kind of noise means trouble. No motor last forever and your will
not either. So long as it's running and the noise doesn't bother you
then fine. When it starts shaking or vibrating then the end is near.
Small motors like that aren't usually repaired but they can be.

Sometimes you can blow the dust out and oil the motor. Small motors
like that are sometimes have a place that says "oil". It may be
possible to have it repaired if you are determined.

Why not got ahead and buy a replacement? Then you can have the old
motor looked at with the minimum downtime. Worst case: old motor not
worth repairing but is still a good backup. In the meantime you have
a quiet smooth running motor.

Ken Knecht March 18th 07 05:07 PM

Evaporative cooler question

"Lawrence" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

It's a brand new motor.

More info. I took the motor off its mounts and it's almost silent.
Evidently the noise is slight and being greatly amplified by the blower
housing it's mounted on.

Ken

dpb March 18th 07 05:32 PM

On Mar 18, 10:07 am, Ken Knecht wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote groups.com:

[...]

Add some isolation. I keep an old bicycle inner tube around for
making such from...

Lawrence March 18th 07 05:34 PM

On Mar 18, 11:07 am, Ken Knecht wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote groups.com:

[...]

Try mounting the fan through pieces of eurethane foam or similar to
reduce vibrations and noise.

Steve B March 18th 07 11:26 PM

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
I put a new two-speed blower motor in my evaporative cooler yesterday.
The motor makes a pretty loud buzzing/humming noise. It does it with belt
off so it's the motor, not the blower. It's not the water pump. Checked
current draw with clamp-on meter and it's slightly (0.1 A or so) below or
equal to rated current marked on motor with the belt on. It's louder on
low speed - maybe because blower is quieter?). Other than the noise it
seems to work ok. I ran it for about 9 hours yesterday at low speed
(which I normally use) with no problems.

Just ignore the noise? I can live with it if it isn't trying to tell me
it's in trouble.

TIA.

Ken

What you are experiencing may be a harmonic effect. With the motor NOT
connected to the belt, all the vibration is transferred to the metal
framework with no dampening effect from the rubber belt.

I'd try it with the belt. If there's still a loud hum, then check out the
electrical end.

Mine works perfectly, and has a lot of hum and noise. I think it's just the
nature of the beast. You may also get some thick grommets with which to
mount the motor that may take out some of the hum if yours is mounted metal
on metal. I'd try the cheap fixes before digging too deep.

Sometimes the problems are the simplest and most obvious little things.

Steve, an old swamp cooler veteran