Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior, which way to go?

I need to fix up the exterior of the house, the stucco on the most weather
exposed side is cracking and there is moisture penetrating. I am in
Northern Calif with hot summers, mild winters and most of the rainfall
during the winter months. Which way to go: a new layer of stucco, a texcote
application over repaired stucco, or vinyl siding? Advantages, dis-
advanatages, pros, cons, most value for the money?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Mar 17, 9:56 pm, Rick wrote:
I need to fix up the exterior of the house, the stucco on the most weather
exposed side is cracking and there is moisture penetrating. I am in
Northern Calif with hot summers, mild winters and most of the rainfall
during the winter months. Which way to go: a new layer of stucco, a texcote
application over repaired stucco, or vinyl siding? Advantages, dis-
advanatages, pros, cons, most value for the money?

Whatever, vinyl siding is the worst possible choice imo...

Other choices depend on factors not specified -- age, overall
condition of remaining surface, reason for the cracking, etc., etc.,
etc., ...

My recommendation would be to get good stucco guy out and talk over
the situation. In that location, common finish so shouldn't be hard
to get a competent tradesman (except for the time problem -- if he's
good you'll probably have to wait a while).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick" wrote in message
I need to fix up the exterior of the house, the stucco on the most weather
exposed side is cracking and there is moisture penetrating. I am in
Northern Calif with hot summers, mild winters and most of the rainfall
during the winter months. Which way to go: a new layer of stucco, a
texcote
application over repaired stucco, or vinyl siding? Advantages, dis-
advanatages, pros, cons, most value for the money?

There's also new stucco that has additives that make it impervious to water,
UV protected, stays the same color for a long time, and other benefits.
It's all up to you and your pocketbook and what you want to look at for the
next twenty years. I like the new stucco/petroleum distillate epoxy glue
mixes, myself.

Steve

Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 10:59 PM
Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 10:37 PM
exterior painting Rocket Ron UK diy 1 October 28th 05 01:43 PM
Exterior Paints Mark Downey UK diy 3 April 25th 05 05:36 PM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 06:56 AM