Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chainsaw rope very hard to pull

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 4:00:49 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I picked up a Stihl "Farm Boss" chainsaw at a garage sale, for a real
good price. It's old but real clean and came with an extra *new* chain
and a case, and more. The new chain is worth what I paid for the whole
thing. The guy said it's not been used for about 10 years. I checked
the gas tank and it was dry, and I knew it was not gummed up. But when
I pulled the rope, it would not budge. The guy told me I could remove
the spark plug, so I did. I sprayed some WD40 in the cylinder and was
able to pull the rope and turn the engine. I then poured a small amount
of motor oil in it, and a little more WD40, and I could easily pull the

rope (with spark plug still removed). I pulled it about 20 times, added
a little more oil, and pulled it another 10 or 15 times, abnd it pulled
real easily, and I could see the piston go up and down.

I put the spark plug back in the engine, and although I could pull the
rope, it pulled very hard, but I could hear the compression, so I bought
it.

After getting it home, I took the spark plug out again, and sprayed some
PB Blaster in the cyl. and added some very light oil, like sewing
machine oil, and let it sit for a day, so the oil can get down around
the piston rings. I then pulled the rope about 25 times and it pulled
real easily (plug removed). I then replaced the plug, and it still
pulls very hard.

I know the piston and the rope are working properly. The air cleaner is
very clean. So, why does it pull so hard when the spark plug is in the
engine? Yes, I know it should pull harder when the plug is in the
engine, but not this hard. I pretty much have to use every muscle I
have to pull that rope. But without the spark plug, I could probably
pull it with one finger. This dont make much sense to me....
[No, it's not oil locked, most of the oil came out of the plug hole when
the plug was removed, and I have pulled it at least 10 times with the
plug installed, which wore me out.

I have not tried to add gas and run it yet. I want to find out why it
pulls so hard before I try to run it. I probably could not pull it fast
enough to start it anyhow.

Any ideas ????

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2020 4:10 AM, wrote:
[...]

Five years since the original post, I'd buy a hand saw if not running by
now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ed-

I wonder if
is a more recent address for
? He still needs to fix it.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 01:10:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like my high compression Remington. When you pull the rope it
either starts or tears the rope out of your hand. REALLY a "snappy"
unit but it screams like a banshee when you get it started. I WILL NOT
start it while on a ladder - pretty much need to "drop" it to start
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My Husquavarna has a knob on the cylinder that you push to
open
a relief valve to lower the compression to ease starting. As
soon
as it fires this valve closes to run as normal. pdk