Tiling Narrow Hallway

Old March 11th 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling Narrow Hallway

Hallway is 41 inches across. Using 12" tiles leaves very narrow tiles
on each side, which everyone agrees looks bad. Using 6" tiles *might*
enable me to use full tiles all the way across, but the consensus
seems to be that the smaller tiles create a "busy" look.

Anyone have ideas on how to make the 12" tiles look better?

Thanks

Old March 11th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Use the 12" tiles. Run a joint at center. A full and about an 8
1/2 border.

Run the tile on the 45, place diamond at center. Diagonal will be
17, 12" border.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

ps.com...

Old March 12th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hallway is 41 inches across. Using 12" tiles leaves very narrow tiles
on each side, which everyone agrees looks bad. Using 6" tiles *might*
enable me to use full tiles all the way across, but the consensus
seems to be that the smaller tiles create a "busy" look.

Anyone have ideas on how to make the 12" tiles look better?

Thanks

Put the tiles point to point instead of flat end to flat end? I guess this
would be called a diagonal pattern.

Old March 12th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hallway is 41 inches across. Using 12" tiles leaves very narrow tiles
on each side, which everyone agrees looks bad. Using 6" tiles *might*
enable me to use full tiles all the way across, but the consensus
seems to be that the smaller tiles create a "busy" look.

Anyone have ideas on how to make the 12" tiles look better?

Thanks

Put the tiles point to point instead of flat end to flat end? I guess
this
would be called a diagonal pattern.

This will use about 20% more material but will make the hall look wider.

The center line grout joint is also a acceptable option.

Old March 12th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Use the 12" tiles. Run a joint at center. A full and about an 8
1/2 border.

head slap I had considered that layout at the very first, but
rejected it to try to use full tiles. For some reason, I never looked
at that option again after the unacceptability of the thin tiles was
apparent.

That is the easiest solution.

Run the tile on the 45, place diamond at center. Diagonal will be
17, 12" border.

You mean like so:

http://www.boundvortex.com/images/tiles.png

Thank you.

Old March 12th 07, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Put the tiles point to point instead of flat end to flat end? I
guess this
would be called a diagonal pattern.

That would be a more intriguing pattern, but it looks more difficult
to layout. I'll have to think about whether I want to attempt that on
my first go-round.

Thanks!

Old March 12th 07, 08:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Greg Esres wrote:
Hallway is 41 inches across. Using 12" tiles leaves very narrow tiles
on each side, which everyone agrees looks bad. Using 6" tiles *might*
enable me to use full tiles all the way across, but the consensus
seems to be that the smaller tiles create a "busy" look.

Anyone have ideas on how to make the 12" tiles look better?

Thanks

Use the same color grout as the tile? Larger tile? We have 20" tile in
very small "L" shaped hallway, continuous from adjoining dining room.
Because the hallway is directly visible from entry, we had to use the
tile layout that looked best in the dining room. It is less than two
tiles wide in the hall and the grout line is not centered. I had to go
look to see how it was laid out, as I just don't notice the grout line.

We have taupe color porc. tile that looks a bit like old stone. Grout
same color. Nice floor that doesn't draw attention to the grout.
Old March 12th 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hallway is 41 inches across. Using 12" tiles leaves very narrow tiles
on each side, which everyone agrees looks bad. Using 6" tiles *might*
enable me to use full tiles all the way across, but the consensus
seems to be that the smaller tiles create a "busy" look.

Anyone have ideas on how to make the 12" tiles look better?

Thanks

http://www.floorstransformed.com/patterns.html

brickwork or hopscotch patterns?

Old March 12th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.floorstransformed.com/patterns.html

brickwork or hopscotch patterns?

Great web page, thanks!

I saw an example of the brickwork pattern today at a restaurant. I
also noticed how they did the hallway to the restroom. Since it
alternates, every other course had the thin tile problem near the
wall. Perhaps with it alternating between thick, thin along the wall,
it would look better than thin all the way down.

The hopscotch looks challenging to implement. Some good ideas
there, though. Thank you.

Narrow Tumble Dryers [email protected] UK diy 0 July 27th 05 11:29 PM
WTB: Narrow Skylight? [email protected] UK diy 3 May 31st 05 10:43 PM
narrow baths [email protected] UK diy 6 March 8th 05 02:58 PM
link belt (narrow) Wuzfuzde Woodturning 4 February 1st 05 08:09 PM
turning a narrow slot Ian Stirling Metalworking 3 August 1st 04 05:20 PM